CP-251 with EHX pedals ?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Moog For A Day

CP-251 with EHX pedals ?

Post by Moog For A Day » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:28 am

Hi guys!

it's the first time I write on this forum so first of all I want to say hello to everybody here who loves Moog's stuff :o

My question with Mooggerfoogers (as the main title says) is: can I use the CP-251 to control EHX pedals (the ones with the exp out jack/CV) so that I can expand their sound possibilities? CV in CP-251 works with 0-5 volts but the truth is, not all the exp out jak are actually CV too.
Electro Harmonix has a huge number of pedals that got the exp out jack and in most of cases on the manuals they write "expression out/CV" but I don't wanto to damage something...

I got the FreqBox and the CP-251 but since the combo "CP-251/MF104" is very popular I was interesed in buying Deluxe MM tap temp 550 (the green one) because its exp jack out should be (as the manual says) also a CV jack with tension of 0-5 volts. The pedal has a switch capable of change the parameter (delay, feedback, blend, depth, rate) associated with the exp out (as the MF104 but in that case, as you know, you got an exp out jack for each of the parameter on the front panel).

Do you belive that this connection could work fine? Is there someone of you who tried this trick before? And if so, what pedal did you use?
I sent an email to EHX time ago but they never answered me..

_DemonDan_

Re: CP-251 with EHX pedals ?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Moog For A Day wrote:Can I use the CP-251 to control EHX pedals (the ones with the exp out jack/CV) so that I can expand their sound possibilities? CV in CP-251 works with 0-5 volts but the truth is, not all the exp out jack are actually CV too. Electro Harmonix has a huge number of pedals that got the exp out jack and in most of cases on the manuals they write "expression out/CV" but I don't wanto to damage something...

I got the FreqBox and the CP-251 but since the combo "CP-251/MF-104" is very popular I was interesed in buying Deluxe MM Tap Tempo 550 (the green one) because its exp jack out should be (as the manual says) also a CV jack with tension of 0-5 volts. Do you belive that this connection could work fine?
Hi Moog For A Day, (a Green Day fan?)

I use 0 to +5 VDC on my EHX pedals all the time. Here's a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoOdP0CaP5A

The EXP jacks are actually EXP IN jacks as opposed to OUT (even if they label them as OUT).

As with all unknown EXP IN jacks, use one of your CP-251's ATTENUATORs to start at +0 (12 o'clock) and slowly go clockwise until you hear the EHX's parameter move its full distance. That's the safest way to judge.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun May 03, 2015 10:09 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:Hi Moog For A Day, (a Green Day fan?)
At first I thought he was a Gentle Giant fan (Giant for a Day), but then I figured he's a YES fan (Mood for a Day).

Stephen

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 pm

I too was thinking "Mood For A Day" I never like to think about "The Clap" :D I forgot about "Giant For A Day". Giant was such a great band, first time I saw them was with Yes.

I had to prep my bathroom for painting this weekend and it need a far amount of paint peeling, so you now know what Gentle Giant song was going though my head all weekend.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue May 05, 2015 11:42 pm

slabwax wrote:Giant was such a great band, first time I saw them was with Yes.
Wow, what year was that? I saw YES several times, starting with their Relayer tour. And Giant only once, during their Playing the Fool tour. Never knew that they toured together.

Stephen

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed May 06, 2015 12:42 pm

I believe it was 76. Big stadium tour with Gary Wright, Gentle Giant, Peter Frampton and Yes (with Moraz) so it most have been the Yesterday tour. I remember they played some stuff from Tales... This was down in the L.A. area.

I saw Giant a couple more times including their last tour ( that I knew of) For the Civilian album small little club also in L.A. First time I saw them I sure as hell did not get it.

The stadium show was a blast. I was fourteen and I went by myself. I ended up setting between two couples. The two (older ladies maybe 25 :lol: ) thought it was great fun to get the little kid high. The little kid thought it was great fun as well. I think their boyfriends/husbands thought is was a waste of perfectly good cheap ass 70's weed. Oh deferent time indeed :D

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed May 06, 2015 1:06 pm

WOW, so I decided to check out the Wiki site on Gentle Giant and this is what it says about the tour

"Gentle Giant played their last gig at the Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, California on the 16th of June 1980."

That was indeed the club I saw them in. I don't remember if they played more than one night there but I might have seen the last Gentle Giant show.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun May 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Okay, I'm remembering some long lost memories here... (Isn't the Internet wonderful for looking up where I've been in my life?).

Gentle Giant did indeed play with YES in LA in 1976 (17 July), I saw them a few weeks later in Fresno (3 August) with Felix Papillardi and Mountain as the backing band. They were supposed to play in Bakersfield on 2 August, but the show was cancelled due the the stage not being large enough or something. I didn't know that at the time so I hitch hiked out from LA to see the show and got a refund the next day. Then hitched up to Fresno by noon and bought a ticket for the show that night. Because I got there early in the day, I had 6th row center seats. This is the only time they played 'Til the Midnight Hour'... ever...

I also saw them at the Hollywood Bowl in 1975 (21 June). Later I found a Bootleg vinyl release of that concert.

I saw Gentle Giant in 1977, 31 March at the Shrine Auditorium in LA, with Renaissance opening. They played 'In the Midnight Hour' on this gig, the second and only other time they played it. Interesting the similarity with the YES show...

Cool that you saw the last GG show at the Roxy. I saw many a show there (Gabriel, Steeleye Span, Brand X...) and can attest to its intimate feel.

Stephen

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon May 11, 2015 12:40 am

Would have loved to seen Gabriel at the Roxy. Such a great club back then. I saw Hacket and the Bill Bruford band there. I also saw a number of great shows there. I saw Gabriel at the Greek that was a treat.