MF-102 Synchronize With Slicer/Other Pedals?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
DaleRobinson

MF-102 Synchronize With Slicer/Other Pedals?

Post by DaleRobinson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:35 am

Hi, I've been obsessed over a band recently who make amazing use of pedals to create some wild noises. It inspired me to go out and buy an MF-102 Ring Modulator as well as some of the other pedals the guy uses.

After watching a lot of videos I worked out that somehow he uses a tuner to bring in the MF-102 (with the slicer noise still running alongside it) but more importantly it is ALWAYS sync'd up with the tempo of the Slicer pedal. The moog is switched on at 33 seconds in.

See vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJMIqpByoA

I wanted to know how I could hook this up to work in the same way it does for the guy in that band, and how to tempo-sync with other pedals if anyone has any advice?

Many thanks!
Dale
Last edited by DaleRobinson on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Re: MF-102 Synchronize With Slicer/Other Pedals?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:10 am

Hey Dale, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing: I like the music :)

I'm not sur to be aware of what is syncronized to the slicer here. Could you be more specific? Maybe give a timing in the vid you linked so that we can examine in details?...

DaleRobinson

Post by DaleRobinson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:16 am

Apologies, I get a bit excited and forget important details.

So feedback is being put through the slicer pedal, but at 33 seconds into the video he turns off the tuner (there's another video I found that proves the tuner is actually turned off to trigger in the moog) which brings the moog's synchronized blips and bloops in, alongside the sliced feedback.

It's extremely tough to work out all of the connections and I've been tearing my hair out over it for the past couple of weeks.

Thanks for the welcome, the MF-102 sure is an amazing little thing!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Drop an email to the band, you'll probably get a descriptive reply.

Stephen

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:21 am

I can see the tuner acting as a bypass switch, but I can't figure the rest.
To me, that green pedal he tweaks, just next to the tuner, is responsible for the changes in sound. Maybe those changes are then altered by the MF, but once again I can't figure out. Anyway, I don't think the MF-102 is sync'able.

If you really are obsessed, as said before, send a mail to the band: they generally answer as well as they are not
bands playing weekly in arenas.
That being said, here is what I'd do: do not try to replicate, get you a well stocked pedalboard and experiment your own stuff. Happy accidents WILL happen, I can guarantee it :)

DaleRobinson

Post by DaleRobinson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 am

haha yeah I certainly have been, I created this track from a similar set up: https://soundcloud.com/cravingsandcaffe ... onstration

The green pedal you mentioned is a Super Shifter by the way :)

I just want to understand how it's all set up and unfortunately they don't reply to e-mails (everything goes through their management who usually just ignore me)

If I manage to work anything out I'll let you know.

52weeks

Post by 52weeks » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:43 am

Just a guess, but could they be using something like an ElectroHarmonix 8-Step to control some MF-102 parameters via CV, and also have that synced to the Slicer? I think the Slicer and 8-Step both have MIDI inputs to be synced up with another controller's clock, so maybe there's a MIDI out coming from a sequencer and being split from there into both the Slicer and the 8-Step (or equivalent) device.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:21 am

This is a good idea. You don't even need a sequencer but just any device delivering MIDI clock.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaleRobinson

Post by DaleRobinson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:57 am

HEY GUYS, I worked it out!!! The Moog seems to act like some kind of signal booster for the feedback (!?)

The high blip noises are actually created with the compressor (or most likely a distortion would have similar effect in the chain)

I made a video anyways. The guys in that band are geniuses.

http://youtu.be/pJDKNC-_gOM

If anyone wants the full explanation on how everything is hooked up here I'd be happy to share. Thank you all for your thoughts, I'll be finding tonnes of uses for the Moog now :)

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm fairly certain that the MF-102 isn't used in this track (I could be wrong tho). It sounds & looks (to me) like a combination of Zoothorn, sampler, slicer and pitch shifting.

Mic feedback into a RC-20 looper, (maybe the RingMOD here) into the POG. This into the slicer and then looped from there.

The second sound is likely the same sample in the RC-20, just played into a Boss PS-5 that is tweaked to generate the glitch grunt effect then into a delay at a short time to create a slight tremolo effect, or possibly into the line 2 of the slicer.

Pretty cool stacking of sounds and pedals regardless.

EDIT: LOL, I guess I should have read & watched the post above mine first HA!! NICE WORK!! Good to see I was really close! You could use the RingMod for distortion. On his board there is a sans amp, and the mixer that could be used to get some decent feedback.
Last edited by Alien8 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:43 am

DaleRobinson wrote: http://youtu.be/pJDKNC-_gOM
I think I like what you did better than what the band did. I like the thumbs up at the end, too.

DaleRobinson

Post by DaleRobinson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Haha thanks all!

Gladmar: I am a thumbs up kinda guy ;)

There are probably a few different ways to be able to play this (could definitely use the looper instead of slicer if you wanted!) but ultimately I am pleased I could get it as close as I have.

Alien 8: How could I use the RingMod for distortion? Quite curious :)