MF105m

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
sorryimtripping

MF105m

Post by sorryimtripping » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:25 pm

while I've used this for my guitar and have gotten some alright effects from it, more tone adjustment really than anything else. I can't help but wonder what exactly makes this pedal so attractive to everyone ?

maybe I'm just not "getting it" but I can spend hours with my voyager and ring mod trying different stuff creating sonically interesting and usable samples but when I try to use the midi murf it just sounds like a one trick pony that doesn't really give much of usable result.

forgive me if you really enjoy your mf105m but I guess I'm just wondering how you use it with your voyager/251/351 and what your really appreciate about it?

thanks!

Vsyevolod

Re: MF105m

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:02 pm

At first I had a similar thought as you, that this was just a one trick pony and made everything you ran through it sound the same. Then with experimentation, I found that running a complex modular patch through it, setting the rate very low, arranging the faders in a smile shape, and adjusting the mix, allowed me very cool and sometimes very subtle sonic manipulations. Unlike most anything else, though you can achieve such effects in other ways if you try hard enough.

I have three Murf's, one regular, one bass, and one MIDI. I enjoy running one before a delay then one after.

It would be nice to see other peoples thoughts here as well.

Stephen

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:49 am

I threw my MuRF into a fooger patch last night and was disappointed by the results. It happens. I just rearranged the order of the foogers and it was fantastic.

I had it setup like this:
Oberkorn Sequencer (for Pitch CV out to multiple and gate)
Oscillator 1 Freqbox (Pitch input from Oberkorn and Oscillator out to CP-251 Mixer)
Oscillator 2 Ringmod (Pitch input from Oberkorn and Carrier Osciollator out to CP-251 Mixer)
Filter MIDI MuRF (audio from the CP-251 mix to MuRF input, Gate to Sleeve input or tap/step to step patterns)
MF104m Delay (audio in from MuRF, audio out to mixer/amp/headphones)

I previously had the delay before the MuRF and it wasn't doing it for me.

My personal opinion on the MuRF is that it sounds best with mixed signals like a few VCO's or chords and a mixture of rough and smooth soundwaves is better than just one or the other. I get different results from different sound sources, so try different things through it. You are right that it is mostly for tone control, but tone control is a big part of the modular realm and sound design. The MuRF can take one long note and sequence it's pitch or take drone mixes and create plucky envelopes. It can do much more, but it is very flexible. It can be frustrating when you aren't enjoying the result, so I hope this helps.

I love being in control of the MuRF, so I also believe in using MIDI to greatly expand the options available with it. I don't have my DAW handy, so it was just step control this time around.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:36 pm

I bought a used MuRF a few months ago in a package. I thought it was a great opportunity as I had always been curious about it.
I tried it with a couple of synths, mostly to explore the possibilities, not for “musical purposes”. I felt it was indeed a one trick pony and old to myself I should try it deeply some day. Then I did not.

A few days ago, as I was publishing some ads for gear I don’t use de facto, I redacted an ad for it. A guy I know from buying a synth from him called me to say “hey I’m definitely interested!! I have the BassMuRF and I would like the MIDI version since it’s a pain ti synchronize and I would like toi have mys Murf’d Rhodes in sync with some drummachine!!”

I said cool and we agreed to meet as soon as our agendas would let us.

Then I thought.
With Rhodes.
Yes but…
Oh… maybe with more subtle settings.
Like the drive…
The mix… should be a interesting step to subtlety…
Damned, I have to try harder.

I looked for another one and found a local seller. Local to me and even more local to my buyer. So I explained him I did not want to be a time waster and if he wanted to buy mine because we know each other etc, no problem, but that there was another one closer to him and thus I could explore mine longer.
He called back: “Yeah, no problem!! Keep it!! I was about to buy it before selling mine and this is not good!!! Go patch and we’ll see next time!”.
Great guy ; I was in the opposite situation once “Noo I’ll keep it”. I was like “Seriously????”

So here I am… telling the story of my life and overall with a MuRF I’ll unpack and patch again! We’ll see what will come out this time:)

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:07 pm

It is deceiving when you click it on the first few times. It does feel like a one trick pony.

In fact it just has a steep learning curve, one worth exploring. You can get some good sounds out of the box, but when you work to be creative with it the rewards are satisfying.

Custom patterns & stereo panning make it fit really well int mixes, and the tone shaping is endless. Then there's the atmosphere it can create!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Fri May 02, 2014 1:01 pm

Tricks with the MuRF lie in more subtle settings, input overdrive, and also in pattern creation.
It is a much more wide range instrument than it seems.

You can download the free editor here:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/mooge ... nloads-tab

Watch some of the guitar examples here from 4:12 - 5:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD1hRdX ... ded#at=304

- Your Friends at Moog

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri May 02, 2014 3:35 pm

I've had some great experiences triggering each step in the MuRF form the EW+ gate output :wink:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra