Moogerfooger Wood Panels - What wood and dye?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
facon

Moogerfooger Wood Panels - What wood and dye?

Post by facon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:42 pm

I've tried searching, but only come up with different types of wood used on Minimoogs. Can anybody tell me what kind of wood is used for Moogerfoogers and what kind of dye I would need to use to replicate the finish? I have two projects; build a pedalboard from scratch and finish building an Etherwave Plus. I'd like it all to look cohesive and the same as my foogers.

EMwhite

Re: Moogerfooger Wood Panels - What wood and dye?

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:40 pm

There's a thread around here about that, have a look. I recall Ash but I could be wrong.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

facon

Post by facon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:02 pm

I have been searching, but perhaps I'm not using the right keywords. Ash just pulled up the black ash edition.

Edit: Found it. The thread was called Foogerwood. Apparently ash seems to be accurate, but the stain/dye is a mix from Moog.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 pm

There is a guy here that posts regularly (I won't call him out :D ) but he had done some stain matching with some of the Moog finishes to really good result. I'll see if I can dig up the text but yes, it was a specific brand and an application that (if I remember correctly) was a mix of an opaque stain (aka paint) and translucent.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

facon

Post by facon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:51 am

Any help would be extremely appreciated. The board itself is a big project and trying to match by trial and error will be very time consuming. I've sent an email to Moog asking if I could just purchase some from them.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:22 am

If you stripped the wood of it's finish and just finished it yourself, it probably wouldn't matter if it matched Moog's exact formula as long as they matched. I don't think the foogers have any consistency in regards to the finish anyway. Mine are various shades apart.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:56 am

My Foogers are all different colors of stain and different woods. There is no consistancy.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:27 am

Gunstock by Minwax is probably as close as you can get without mixing stuff... :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue May 20, 2014 10:39 am

I think the older ones were inconsistent, but when I re-bought all of the foogers recently, the newer style SMT ones actually matched. They look great together.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

AEBroadus

Post by AEBroadus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:14 pm

When I went to match my MF wood to try and build some MF couplers (like the CP/VX rackmount coupler), I brought a recent panel and was told "Red Oak". with a mild stain and nearly satin finish. The thing about the wood, is that stains can help get you VERY close to what ever color you're interested in doing without having to cut Mahogany and Walnut trees. Moog itself sources from a carefully maintained forestry outfit out of Tennessee (pretty near to the factory). So, I would pull the panel with the color you'd like to work with, bring it to the shop where you can get the wood and match the stain and finish.

Hope that helps
To define is to limit.