Anyone been able to sync Midi Murf to an MPC60?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Lumin

Anyone been able to sync Midi Murf to an MPC60?

Post by Lumin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 pm

As asked in the thread title, anyone been able to do this? I have tried everything.
Read the manual 100 times, consulted the MPC manual as well. I have a feeling that the MPC doesn't spit out the Midi time clock the Murf needs, but I figure I would at least ask in hopes that someone was successful with this.

Thanks a million!
[url]www.oddinhuman.com[/url]
[url]https://oddinhuman.bandcamp.com/[/url]

Bryan B

Re: Anyone been able to sync Midi Murf to an MPC60?

Post by Bryan B » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:42 pm

There is a tap/step input you can access on the MuRF. If you get a stereo "Y" cable, you can send a trigger (or hot audio click) into it and step the pattern (or on the other input it is a tap tempo).

If you wanted to do it with Midi, you could look up the cc number or midi note and step it that way. With Midi you can program each slider however you want and do many other ridiculously awesome things!
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Did you get it working yet?
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Lumin

Post by Lumin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Tried the midi note thing and that did not work. Maybe I am not using the right midi note number. That was a bit confusing to me which number i needed to assign to a pad to step to the next filter. havent tried the Y cable thing. I thought i needed a special 1/4" adapter that moog sells to do the step thing. will try that. was hopin to get this thing to sync by connecting the midi cable and be done with it.

i appreciate the help
Lu

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Sorry that you are having trouble, it can be confusing. It might be a good idea to look at how MIDI works and understand the difference between Note number (key location) and CC (127 different parameters that can be assigned to various things and vary per piece of gear). You take that info times 16 channels and that is a lot of info that can be sent!

Here are my notes taken from the manual that explain everything I like to do with it over MIDI:

SETTING THE MIDI CHANNEL
The MIDI MuRF Defaults to MIDI Channel 1 for receiving Channel Mode messages (MIDI CCs, MIDI Note Ons). The MIDI Channel can be set by the user one of two ways: powering up with the LFO and FREQ switch in the left position and with the stomp switch pressed sets the MIDI channel to 1-12 corresponding to the position of the pattern rotary switch. In addition, a MIDI CC #102 with values 1-16 received on any MIDI Channel will set the MIDI channel to 1-16. When the MIDI MuRF is powered down, the last MIDI Channel assignment is remembered.

Using MIDI Program Change Messages values 0-23 accesses the MuRF patterns 1-24. This has no impact on the position of the FREQ switch, so that using MIDI, you can use any of the 24 patterns with either voicing,

MIDI Channel: CC102. Values 1-16 = MIDI Channels 1-16

ENVELOPE: CC1 (Mod Wheel)
DRIVE: CC2 (Foot Controller).
LFO RATE/SWEEP: CC3.
OUTPUT: CC7 (Volume)
MIX: CC8.
RATE: CC9

FILTERS 1-8 LEVEL: CCs 20-27
the CC value sets the volume of the corresponding filter up to the maximum volume set by that filter’s slider. Note that the values of CC20-27 Messages do not override the positions of the sliders

Pattern Reset: CC90 Any Value. A CC90 message received will instantly reset the current pattern to the beginning (step 1). This is useful for re-synchronizing the pattern to an off-beat while you are in MIDI sync.

PATTERN CLOCK RESET: If the pattern clock is running, MIDI Note 65 will re-set the pattern to step 1

Pattern Clock Sync On/Off: CC89. Values 0-63=OFF; 64-127= ON.

FREQ BASS/MIDS: CC86; Values 0-63=BASS; 64-127=MIDS.

LFO ON/OFF: CC85; Values: 0-63=OFF; 64-127=ON.

ENVELOPE SCALE: CC70: CC70 expands/compresses the overall duration of the envelope while keeping the same shape set by the ENVELOPE control or CC1. Using CC70 you can control the envelope time scale independently of the Rate control.

STEP MODE: Note On Value 108

MUTE MODE: Note On Values 24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 35, 36

STACCATO MODE: CC68 OFF/ON (0-63 = OFF, 64-127 = ON). This mode changes the way envelopes behave in “Triggered Mode” (See below on p. 21 for Triggered Mode description) If this is OFF (which is the default), then the envelopes go all the way through their attack and decay no matter how briefly you hold the MIDI note. If "staccato mode" is ON, then the envelopes play all the way out if you hold down the MIDI note, but if you release the MIDI note the envelope goes immediately to zero.

TRIGGERED MODE: Note On Values 48, 50, 52, 53, 55, 57, 59, 60
If a Note On is held until the EGR goes through its complete attack/decay cycle, a new Note On message is required to retrigger the EGR. An EGR is retriggered from the last point in the EGR cycle if retriggered before the Decay segment reaches the end of its cycle. This is an "8-voice polyphonic" mode – so up to all 8 filters can be fired at once (in the order they are received serially).

SUSTAINED MODE: Note On Values 72,74,76,77,79,81,83,84
the corresponding filter is set to a level determined by the Note On Velocity. When the Note Off message is received for that same note value the filter’s DAC Value is written to zero. This means you can "play" the filters in a sustained fashion with Note On messages.

NOTE PRIORITY: Triggered mode and Sustained mode can be used at the same time, with the last note played taking priority for the corresponding filter.

Sustained/ Trigger Mode cannot be used at the same time as Mute Mode so if any Sustained/ Trigger Mode Note On messages are received, any Mute mode Note on values are ignored. Note that if the clock is stopped by Sustained/Trigger/Step Mode Note On values, a Mute Mode Note On does NOT restart the clock – clocks are only restarted by changing the Rate control, changing the Rate input CV, receiving CC9, or by receiving MIDI Clock start or continue message.

Sustained/ Trigger Mode cannot be used at the same time as Step Mode so if any Sustained/ Trigger Mode Note on Values are received, Note on value 108 is ignored. A Step mode note (Note On 108) received after Sustained or Trigger Mode Notes will place the MIDI MuRF back into Step mode.

Mute Mode cannot be used at the same time as Step Mode so if Note on Value 108 is received, Mute Mode Note on values are ignored.
MIDI CCs 20-27 are treated with priority over the Note On Modes to control the levels of Filters 1-8.

Lumin

Post by Lumin » Wed May 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I literally just figured out what I needed to do to get the MidiMurf to sync with the MPC60.
Midi channel on the Murf has to be set to channel 1. The internal Sync Out on the 60 has to be set to whichever output you are connected to.
Pretty simple but the thing that got me was not understanding how to set the Murf Midi channel to the right one.

Lu

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed May 14, 2014 3:56 pm

I am glad you figured it out! Thanks for the update.