Moogerfooger Shielding?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
facon

Moogerfooger Shielding?

Post by facon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Can anybody that has shielded their foogers chime in on their results? Did you shield the wood panels only or add extra shielding to the whole pedal?

I have a large role of .002" taped MuMetal foil and I'm wondering if it's worth it to line my foogers. I am getting the most noise from my MF-101 and MF-108M. My MF-101 and MF-103 combined while even bypassed are too noisy to be in the chain without true bypass. I don't know if it's just the circuit or if they're sensitive to noise.

Alien8

Re: Moogerfooger Shielding?

Post by Alien8 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Shielding can't hurt as long as you do a clean job.

My 101 did show improvement around power supplies and in above ground wiring neighbourhoods. I haven't done the others.

All three you mention are the naturally noisy animals because of what they do using analog components. I always found that clean power and good signal cables makes a difference. Good Cable routing practice is also helpful with noise - ie don't run power and signal parallel close to each other; fewer interconnections ; short runs are good, but don't sacrifice neatness; etc.

Each little tip combined produced a low noise rig, one where I can use the 101 drive without noise. The cluster flux will always be noisy.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

facon

Post by facon » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks. I have my foogers connected straight together without the wood panels. I made wood inserts to screw them into underneath the enclosure, so there is a small boarder. I wonder if this adds to any noise. I'll go ahead and add the shielding because it won't hurt. The good news is, my pedalboard is getting close to complete and it looks very much like a Minimoog :)

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:18 am

One thing I noticed is that when pedals or any type touch each other or rest on a metal frame noise is increased. It's not with all pedals, but I suspect that some ground loops form, or that static is more easily converted to noise.

Looking forward to pics... I have to post some too...
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

facon

Post by facon » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:56 pm

It's strange because all pedals are grounded together with the in and out jacks, as well as the ground on the PSU. Regardless, just in case, I left a tiny bit of space between them. You have to look closely to notice. Hopefully the shielding will make a positive impact.

Get some pictures up! I'll be posting as soon as I finish my new board :)