MoogerFoogers need a face lift.

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Cenydd Ros

MoogerFoogers need a face lift.

Post by Cenydd Ros » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Something else I would like from Moog:

I would like rack mount MoogerFoogers.
Flat panel face.
Jack inputs/outputs on the face just below the knobs.
Replace the foot switch with a toggle switch.

I'll never use MoogerFoogers as actual pedals. If I did want them for this, I'd buy them in that configuration, but what I want them for would have them better suited in a rack.

This isn't something that is very hard to do. It is a simple job of re-casing the product and supplementing one switch for another. Easy to do - and would be a great help to those of us that would rather have our MoogerFoogers in a cabinet than on the floor, getting dusty.

~ Cenydd Ros
We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineers
Like you

facon

Re: MoogerFoogers need a face lift.

Post by facon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:44 pm

You could create a custom rack panel to go above or below the Moogerfoogers by using a standard panel spacer. It would be incredibly simple to install 1/4" female jacks on the panel and solder them to cables with 1/4" male jacks that plug into the foogers.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Yes, in fact it's easier for you to rackmount your Foogers than it is for Moog to do it for you.

Stephen

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 am

Unfortunately, patchbay wiring for the MoogerFoogers is a bit more involved than just running jumper cables...

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10771
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

MC

Post by MC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Cenydd Ros wrote:Easy to do - and would be a great help to those of us that would rather have our MoogerFoogers in a cabinet than on the floor, getting dusty.
Easy?

You have obviously never set eyes inside a MF pedal.

One row of jacks is soldered right to the circuit board, the other connected via a ribbon cable. It would take a redesign of the circuit board to move the jacks to the front of the panel, dragging other associated components with them. As an EE who has been involved in circuit board design, this is not "easy". Circuit board design minimizes interference and instability between surrounding components. Move those components around and you risk many problems.

This would now require TWO circuit boards, one for the pedal format and one for front panel. Moog is not going to drop the pedal format. It costs more money to have two circuit boards because you lose the quantity pricing and the board stuffers won't reprogram for the new board for nothing.
This isn't something that is very hard to do.
Famous last words. If I had a nickel everytime some armchair expert said that, I'd be rich.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 pm

MC wrote:Easy?

You have obviously never set eyes inside a MF pedal.
What he said...

Stephen

Cenydd Ros

Post by Cenydd Ros » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:27 pm

MC wrote: You have obviously never set eyes inside a MF pedal.
Famous last words. If I had a nickel everytime some armchair expert said that, I'd be rich.

Actually, I'm an automotive technician (and autos are really rather complex machines these days), and am currently going to night college to get a degree in electrical engineering. But, hey.

What I suggested is easy, because nothing on the interior of the MF would really need to be changed. The only changes would be to the case - and replacing one on/off switch with another. I can do it myself, but would have to fabricate a faceplate, and void any warranty on my pedals in the process. Would rather have Moog do it for me.
We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineers
Like you