Moogerfoogers at higher voltages

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
facon

Moogerfoogers at higher voltages

Post by facon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 am

Has anybody noticed any changes in their Fooger's performance at different voltages? With some overdrives and compressors, increasing the voltage will allow for more clean headroom, adding some dynamics/depth and other changes or improvements. Noise seems to be a concern on a lot of Foogers and increasing headroom on the drive would definitely be an improvement IMO since the noise floor in my setup seems to be related to the output level. I noticed in the phaser manual it says:

POWER:
The MF-103 works satisfactorily on +10 to +15 volts DC and uses about 100 milliamperes of current. Note that most power adaptors that are rated at +9V DC will actually produce +10 to +11 volts, and power adaptors rated at +12V DC will actually produce +13 to +14 volts, when used with the MF-103. For this reason, you can power your MF-103 from virtually any power adaptor which has a nominal rating between +9 volts and +12 volts at a rated current of at least 200 milliamperes, and has the appropriate power connector. If you use a power source other than that which was supplied with the MF-103, be sure that the voltage never exceeds +15 volts. Power sources with voltages in excess of +15 volts may cause serious damage to the MF-103's circuit.

Obviously, not every Moogerfooger can accept different voltages so please don't take this as an invite to start plugging in random power sources :)

ZYKLIFF

Re: Moogerfoogers at higher voltages

Post by ZYKLIFF » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:05 am

I have noticed a positive improvement on a MXR 6-band EQ I modded for 12 Volt operation. Why wouldn't more volts sound better into the MF-103? I missed that bit in the manual... I think I'll try a 12V output PSU in the very near future and report back.

bozobreak

Post by bozobreak » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 am

I have a well regulated 12VDC power supply (T-REX Juicy Juice), I've measured exactly 12VDC on it.
http://t-rex-effects.com/products/fuelt ... -lucy.aspx

It is possible to power the MF-104M and MF-108M from it?
The current is OK, but I would like to be sure that I won't damage the delay with 12VDC.

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:04 pm

You may also whis to read the FAQ about that on the Moog website:

http://www.moogmusic.com/support/moogerfooger%C2%AE-faq

Just scroll down to: "What kind of power adapter can I use with my Moogerfoogers?"

LA

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Well, my previous post was for another topic but is actually related to this discussion. (Call me lucky :mrgreen: )

The fact is that all the moogerfoogers have an internal voltage regulator. Supplying more than say 9 to 12 Vdc should not change anything at all because of that. This will just make the regulator work a bit harder, or eventually burn if you go beyond 15V...

It is stated somewhere that 9 vDC power supply often deliver up to 12v DC, thus a well regulated 12V DC, with a real 12 v DC output will work without any issue, but the extra few volts will not add anything to the "performance" of the moogerfooger connected to it.

LA