Any Voyager Signature owners out there?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
markireland

Any Voyager Signature owners out there?

Post by markireland » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm

Are there any Voyager Signature owners here?

Thanks
http://www.MarkIreland.com.au

Just Me

Re: Any Voyager Signature owners out there?

Post by Just Me » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Yes,

You're welcome.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Voltor has the Amos Gaynes Signature Edition.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:12 am

Yes they are....i am one of them.... :)

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:47 am

But I'm still trying to figure out why he wants to know and how that is going to makes his suddenly worth what he thinks it should be. (See his other post.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:31 am

same here

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:53 am

Just Me wrote:But I'm still trying to figure out why he wants to know and how that is going to makes his suddenly worth what he thinks it should be. (See his other post.)
*checked his other posts*

Now i wonder too.... :?

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:34 am

EricK wrote:Voltor has the Amos Gaynes Signature Edition.
True, but I believe the Mighty Voltor's Amos Gaynes Sig. Edtion is a Little Phatty, not a Voyager.

markireland

Post by markireland » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 pm

So that makes 3 Signature owners so far?

I do not anticipate a sudden increase in the value of my Voyager Signature, I just wanted other owners who felt a little hard done by to form a self help group.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:57 pm

But I don't feel hard done by. I use mine as a musical instrument at least 5 days a week and live at least a couple times a month. Every one I play with love the sounds I've programmed. I really enjoy playing it. It has done exactly what I ever wanted out of it every time I've used it. It was never bought as an investment or something to gain in value. It was bought as a tool to make music. It replaced several older keyboards. (Things that people now lust after. Things that I bought at the low of their value. $300 for a 2600 with duophoinic keyboard. Memory Moog for $800, etc. Things that are now too fragile to use everyday.)
When it gets too roadworn, I'll recase it. But in the meantime, I'll just continue to play and enjoy it.
(I wish I was able to recoupe some of the money I spent on 8-bit computers when they were new and all the Atari ST periphrials I've tossed over the years!)
Oh yeah, I got a signature because that was what was available to me at the time.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 pm

RE: Signature value. I paid $2850 for mine (SN 167 in maple) through the Electronic Music Foundation. Just checking Guitar Center, a new Voyager is $3295. That's about $450 saved right there. Since I got a Signature machine, I was able to get it a half a year before the Performer was even released. Can't really put a value on 6 months of time... It also came with a free gooseneck lamp (currently $49) AND gig bag (currently $100). It also came with a double length warranty and FREE factory tunings. That's over $600 of savings compared to the current instrument, and I was able to pick the wood I wanted (plus it has Bob's signature on it). Where's the lost value? Unless you want to sell your machine, who cares what it's worth? :?:

MC

Post by MC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:53 am

My signature has Bob's signature on it. Billy Bob Jr that is.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:17 am

MC,
Is that smilin' Bob From those whistlin' metaphorical commercials?

And I wouldn't expect a synth to appreciate in value until some passage of time. But in all of my years of "research", it seems that the only thing that changes is the value of the dollar, not the value of the synth.

Now I can't tell you exactly what a Model D sold for brand new, or those old 55's, but I know that Mike Bucki could build a 55 for around 30 thousand, and thats about the general ballpark that the originals may fetch now.....if anyone wants to fork that over.

MC,
You might be in a better position to say than me (surely) but based on the value of the dollar, aren't these synths still fetching about the same?

Walter Sear or the good Doctor used to say that a big system bacn in the 60's or 70's cost about the same as a small house.

So really Im thnking that these really don't appreciate much in value, but as someone here once told me, they actually depreciate just like cars do. As soon as you crack open the case of that XL and drool all in the jackholes, yeah it will decrease.

But in 30 years your Signature edition might fetch a few undred dollars extra....but it will be us old fogies retiring who remember who Bob was. The generation that will pay extra for your signature edition (if the software hasn't caught up by then heh) will look at those old B&W photos of Bob like I look at aging photos of Leon Theremin (except I appreciate Lev a bit more than some of our grandkids may appreciate the good Doctor.)

And I think its kind of douchesque to expect Moog to put your name in lights just cause you got a Signature. Anyone who truly pontificates about the good doctor knows that simply having his signature on the synth and knowing that he personally inspected it before it shipped out should be satisfied with that.

It'll be worth even more to me when my (now unborn) children come into the studio and start showing a keen interest in this funny collection of knobs.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:16 am

I have the Signature Voyager because I was anxious to get any Voyager in my hands. Having Bob's signature wasn't important but it's nice to have.

It's hard to judge the market for Signature Voyagers because there haven't been many of them on the market. Voyagers hold their value but they're not appreciating - yet. Before the Voyager came out, model Ds maxxed out around $3500. That's because of limited supply. Now Voyagers are in ample supply and that caused the value of model Ds to fall a little. Only the early RAMoog or Musonics command a little more.

I don't believe a Signature Voyager will be worth more than a Performer Voyager in thirty years. Both make the same sounds. It's not about Bob's John Hancock, it's about supply and demand. Exceptions are usually the instruments with celebrity attachments because they're aren't 600 of those. The Carlos or Emerson moog modular would fetch insane money.

The notion that synths drop in value if you open the hood is absurd. Everyone knows that trimpots shift over time and any analog synth needs periodic calibration. Under that logic if I never calibrated the Voyager over thirty years and then tried to sell it, everybody would complain that it is so badly out of tune - if it worked at all. Under that logic if you never opened the hood of a car, the oil would dry up and the odometer would be ~6000 miles because that's as far as you're going to get when the engine siezes up. Offsetting the low miles would be a complete engine rebuild because you'd have to replace the rings on the pistons and remove all the rust on the inside.

In the late 60s a fully loaded Moog IIIc sold new for $6000 (about what a house cost back then). When the model D was released in 1970, retail was $1495. A new car cost almost as much back then.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

markireland

Post by markireland » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:04 pm

So we now have 5 owners. Only 595 to go.

I would like to buy a cool synth, use it, sell it for a profit and buy a cool synth (and so on) and this is what I have always done right up until I bought the Signature.

I paid $5000Australian for it new and I dont know what its worth secondhand because I have never seen one for sale.

I bought it because I was concerned that it was the last chance to own a synth with its features. Clearly I was wrong and I should have realised there is a growing interest in these things.