Voyager via Remote Desktop

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tunedLow

Voyager via Remote Desktop

Post by tunedLow » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:02 pm

I'll be thousands of miles away from my Voyager this holiday season, and very bored. It occured to me that if I set up a remote desktop on my windows machine, that I may be able to run my Voyager via Cubase, remotely.

I should be able to send program changes via midi, as well as control most all of the pots. Otherwise, I could just leave it on manuel mode. One concern I have is leaving my synth on for almost 3 weeks. It will be in a fairly cold house.

I haven't given this much thought yet, but does anyone see any more problems I might find (besides crackers)? Regardless, I'll keep you updated.

Thanks

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:39 pm

Would you be able to hear the sound from your end???

I don't think its very sensible leaving the Voyager on for 3 entire weeks, but I suppose you could leave it on, and plug it into a socket timer, so it only switches on at certain times.

Or don't bother at all and when you get back you'll appreciate the Voyager more!!! :wink:

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:57 am

Allright, I admit, I'm a complete dork for going through the trouble but I got this to work. The only remote desktop I could find that would transmit sound was windows remote desktop that comes with XP pro. I couldn't find a variety of VNC that would bring sound to the client.

The biggest drawback is that remote desktop can't transmit sound created by midi. So my library editor won't immdiately return a sound when you hit a key. It does however still work with the voyager. So I have to make adjustments, then record a few seconds in Cubase, re-tweak, re-record, until I'm happy with the sound. My wife turns the Moog on and off for me. I seriously considered leaving my speakers cranked when I left, and then blasting her in the middle of the night as a joke, but I want to stay married, and I need her to turn it on again :)

But here I am, out in the middle of nowhere still turning knobs... This also sounds like a good way for me to get fired from work when I get home.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:15 am

Tuned -

How about spending some time with a good book instead? I'd recommend:

"Analog Days - The Invention and Impact of the Moog Synthesizer" by Trevor Pinch and Frank Trocco

Could take you mind off the Voyager for a bit...

;-)

Cheers!

Greg

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:10 pm

Ha, good one. Brought it with me, but finished it. I'll play my moog :)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:49 pm

Okay, how about:

"Vintage Synthesizers" by Mark Vail, 2nd edition.

Just trying to help a guy take his mind off his Moog (as if)!

:-)

G