ANYONE USE NUMEROLOGY'S SEQUENCER?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
KrateKraig

ANYONE USE NUMEROLOGY'S SEQUENCER?

Post by KrateKraig » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:39 pm

Howdy fellow moogsters! After getting my 1969 Schwinn Apple Krate this summer, I thought... Hmmm, what other earthly (non-human) object have I lusted for my whole life? Yup, Always wanted a minimoog... So, I just bought a new Voyager AE . (Black Beauty) And I must say it is incredibly fun and well worth the big buck. (I call it the Les Paul of synthesizers.) Anyway, I would love to get into some 70's era Tangerine Dream style improv sequencing... Knob twisting is fun! And I've been looking around at sequencing options when I discovered Five12's Numerology. Since I already have the Mac, it sounded like fun for $80... How well does it work?

Thanx. Craig.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:35 am

Regarding Numerology - I'm aware of it but haven't tried it. However, for just a few more dollars ($99), you can get Cubase SE, Steinberg's 'budget' version of their popular sequencer. Cubase SE supports MIDI and audio recording, VST plugins and instruments, offers pitch shift and time stretch functions and a whole lot more. Pretty complete for less than a C note, IMO.

Works on a PC (XP/2000) or a Mac (OSX).

Greg

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:40 am

And by the way - congrats on the AE acquisition! I'm sure you'll be very happy for many years to come.

FWIW, I prefer to think of my Voyager performer as the 'Lexus' of synthesizers. ;-)

Grge

optimusrob

Post by optimusrob » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:14 pm

Nice -- I think of mine as a Model T with a Ferrari mod. Classic architexture with state-of-the-art performance style --

Sunsinger

Numerology

Post by Sunsinger » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:08 am

Hi
Yes, I use Numerology and its really an incredibble program. Its based on an analoug sequencer model and works like a modular synth control. You have access to many types of modules that you can build from scratch to send anything from multiple gate triggers to midi cc mesages of every mapped part of your AE. Its simple to use but can get much more tweakhead than you can imagine. It offers some very complex module configurations such as XY axis control grids. Offset pitch generators (this takes a sequence and transposes it for you as fast or slow as you want). AU access of other synths and plugins. And its got one of the most accurate and versatile clocking schemes around. This program blows Cubase away for its imagination and versatility. Also the guy that owns the company Jim Coker is imminently accessable for support on the web and very cool to work with.

Sunsinger :arrow:
"Work with what you've got" Eno

KrateKraig

Post by KrateKraig » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:00 pm

Thanx to one and all! i'll most likely give Numerology a try at a later date. I just discovered my friend is going all new tech and getting rid of some of his old school stuff. (I'm doing the opposite!) It looks like I'll trade some gear for his Pro-One. Since it has a sequencer built in, I'll play around with that first.

Hey Sunsinger, I love your Eno quote!!! (Eno is god.) One of my favorite quotes is by one of Eno's musical collaborators, Robert Fripp. Fripp once said about the Mellotron: "Tuning a Mellotron doesn't."
Now that parts are actually available to repair old Mellotrons, I sometimes wish I would have kept mine. (Sold it in the late '80's when nobody cared or new anything about them.)

Thanx, Craig.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:31 am

Its only a 40 note sequencer, can't do much except sequence simple basslines on it.

suitandtieguy

Re: ANYONE USE NUMEROLOGY'S SEQUENCER?

Post by suitandtieguy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:12 pm

nx01craig wrote:And I've been looking around at sequencing options when I discovered Five12's Numerology. Since I already have the Mac, it sounded like fun for $80... How well does it work?
it's awesome.

i helped design it. you should come down to Peoria and hang out in my studio with your V'ger and we can rock out berlin school style. i'm only 2 hours away or something, 25 minutes from I-39. we could even have dinner at my favourite supper club in Oglesby if you want.
me and my music - http://suitandtieguy.com
my modules - http://stgsoundlabs.com

Sunsinger

Numerology

Post by Sunsinger » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:52 am

More on Numerology:

First create a group
If you look in the group section once you have created a modular setup, you can see an area to the left of your modules that allows you to save presets, or patterns, (of up to 32 notes) these can be snapshotted and copied to the preset list for that group. You can vary a pattern as many ways as you like and then snapshot it and copy it. Then if you move into either mixer mode or track mode in the menu bar at the top of this screen, and you can drop these presets into a composition (track) format like composing with rhythm patterns on a drum machine. You can do this almost infinitly. Oh...by the way, you can have as many groups controlling as many synth modules or midi channels as the CPU can handle. Its like tangerine dream on steroids. I plan on hooking it up to the Andromeda I just got and sequencing against the 16 independant voices with the Voyager used for leads.
Ohh Boy!!!

Sunsinger :arrow:
Last edited by Sunsinger on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puppets

Post by puppets » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:51 am

Sunsinger, Boing was talking about the sequencer on the pro~one, that sequencer has a limit of 40 steps. However on the pro~one you can transpose the sequences with the pro~one's keyboard so it is quite useful :)

/Jonas

I tweak til it hertz...

Sunsinger

Apology

Post by Sunsinger » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:39 pm

Ooops...Sorry for the lecture Boing...
I thought someone was slamming one of my favorite softwares.

Sincerely

Sunsinger :oops:

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:53 pm

After all these years people still can't spell my name! :)

The Pro-One sequencer/arpeggiator is very useful, but limited. I heard there was a hardware mod that could allow more notes to be stored????

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:41 pm

Boeing 737-400 wrote:The Pro-One sequencer/arpeggiator is very useful, but limited. I heard there was a hardware mod that could allow more notes to be stored????
Why oh why would you want to do that these days!!?
:wink:

HRx
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:10 pm

Trying to keep Vintage Analogue alive! :)

I can't bear to make any changes to the original design though. Midi-CV converter, and a sequencing program will be better!

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:29 pm

Boeing 737-400 wrote:Trying to keep Vintage Analogue alive! :)
that's OK then!!
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub