What's the point of a polysynth?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 pm

A polyphonic trumpet would defy physics, yet composers routinely call upon multiple trumpets to create polyphonic textures.

I mean, theres nothing wrong with someone not preferring or even liking the sound of synths, Im not going to knock someone for their opinion.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have very limited theory training, but still would love to see a Moog polysynth. I didn't used to see the need for a polysynth because I have access to a Fantom and I own a Rhodes and an Organ. I have since been intrigued by the sound design capabillities afforded by a synth module such as the DSI Prophet module or even something like the Motif Rack module.

I also love Indian music and highly respect the discipline necessary to become proficient in Indian Classical music.

Eric
Last edited by EricK on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

panamabirthcanal

Post by panamabirthcanal » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 pm

That's pretty cool. Ever heard of Thomas Chapin? Played alto and tenor sax simultaneously for double stops. Amazing musician, but died early of leukemia.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 pm

I saw Freddie Jones do it at a Jazz fest and after I talked to him I had to try it myself. Its limited to what you can do with one hand on a sax though and very hard. He had a trumpet and a fluglehorn and it sounded great.

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:27 pm

Polyphony in an analog synth? This is why you need it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bdaCkoX ... re=related

DS
Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5 (rev 3.3), Moog Old School (s/n #0317), Yamaha DX7 MKII FD and Roland D50

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Or how how about this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xwxldUH ... re=related

Lets guess how much money all that cost...

DS
Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5 (rev 3.3), Moog Old School (s/n #0317), Yamaha DX7 MKII FD and Roland D50

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:35 am

I understand what you're saying. Personally, I have difficulty playing polyphonic synthesizers. I have become too accustomed to playing fast synth solos that only work with monophony. Everything I play now is meant for monophony; when I express myself musically, it's one note at a time. When I get the luxury of playing chords, I don't know what to do. The only thing I can do is play some slow pad. Fast polyphony sounds too busy to me, but goddamn, the CS-80 has its purpose.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:54 am

Jrayk Roze wrote:I understand what you're saying. Personally, I have difficulty playing polyphonic synthesizers. I have become too accustomed to playing fast synth solos that only work with monophony. Everything I play now is meant for monophony; when I express myself musically, it's one note at a time. When I get the luxury of playing chords, I don't know what to do. The only thing I can do is play some slow pad. Fast polyphony sounds too busy to me, but goddamn, the CS-80 has its purpose.

We all come from different backgrounds, and have different reasons for wanting or not wanting a poly.

I learnt guitar and was teaching professionally before I was 18. I moved onto piano, and eventually a ton of other instruments, before getting into production. For me, a poly Moog would help me bring to life so many things creatively that I have in mind. I am not one of these people who brings a moog on stage and plays lead lines... In fact I have absolutely no interest in that at all. I use my LP and Voyager for basses, effects, interesting sounds, multitracking/layering, etc... because so far I have'nt seen any other synth that can give me the tones and sounds I can get from them...

A poly Moog would give me the oppurtunity to bring to live so many idea I have... especially depending on what features are present. I'd love to see the day when I would be able to say goodbye to multitracking synth lines.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:41 am

I'd like to know who doesn't want a Moog poly, because they need to be burned at the stake.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:47 am

Subtronik wrote:I'd like to know who doesn't want a Moog poly, because they need to be burned at the stake.
I don't WANT one...I NEED one! :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 am

I'm guessing it would complete my life cycle.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:49 am

It would complete my non-modular synth rig...now, my modular synth rig...that's another story...I need to work on that in the meantime... :oops:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:16 am

I don't like the idea of a Moog polyphonic. It's not the right thing for Moog to do right now. Too much too soon.

The guitar wasn't the right thing either but the T3 is amazing enough to make up for the guitar folly.

Forget the poly and focus on the gear the Moog crew are working on currently! You'll be pleasantly surprised! :D

Cheers,
Aaron

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:28 am

My goal is to have a nice Moog system. All the Moog instruments in this are part of the system and I reference them as 1 entity, The Moog. Great studio componants as well as great individual instruments.

One way that I want to go about this...the way that I think is the best for me, is to have the Voyager as a great lead, the T3 for Basslines, supplimented with several newly built Modusonics Moog modules (17 or so).

If Moog makes a polysynth, I will probably deem that I will have enough Moog instruments (Voyager, Micro, Taurus, Theremin, Polysynth) to do the job at which point I would invest in another companies modular setup With asmall eurorack modlar). A Moog polysynth would pretty much give me all that I would require from Moog, unless they just came up with a brand new crazy effect or controller and then I would consider it. I am amassing Moog strictly for its quality, its sonic integrity, it's interconnectivity and its abillity to process virtually any frequency from any instrument and this is what makes Moog so special for me as tools in my arsenal to enhance my creations.

I am content with them doing business exactly as they are and based on what has been reported, their company is financially stable. They are doin something right and I am confident that they will do so.

panamabirthcanal

Post by panamabirthcanal » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:55 am

theglyph wrote:I don't like the idea of a Moog polyphonic. It's not the right thing for Moog to do right now. Too much too soon.

Cheers,
Aaron
We live in modern times where any amount of polyphony can be achieved with any amount of multitimbrality in any configuration limited only by one's imagination. So why is the minimoog, a unitimbral, monophonic synthesizer, the most popular synth ever? And why did Moog choose to remake the minimoog, and not a polyphonic or even digital synthesizer? Because he knew what was up. If polyphony was the goal of analog synthesis, the Voyager would not exist. There are so many aspects of the sound to be tweaked, and why not build the ultimate sound. Speaking of the ultimate sound, the infinitely great sound, would you really want to add chord tones to it? Minimoogs are musically polyphonic (not the synth definition) which means they can play more than one tone at the same time and when you add harmonies, you are unable to set oscillators to different tones, or harmonies will not work. Why limit your sonic capability just so you can play chords. People who want moog to make a polysynth are most likely gear junkies who just want another piece of Moog gear. I personally think it would cheapen the image of the Voyager and take them in a direction void of progress. I think the goal of development should be real time user control of parameters.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:23 am

panamabirthcanal wrote:Why limit your sonic capability just so you can play chords. People who want moog to make a polysynth are most likely gear junkies who just want another piece of Moog gear. I personally think it would cheapen the image of the Voyager and take them in a direction void of progress. I think the goal of development should be real time user control of parameters.
Very good post.
Reading it made me think of the Nord G2. Very extremely powerful and deeply vast all digital poly synth.

I too think if not done right a Moog poly would cheapen the company image.
If done correctly, it will cost $8,000.

Remember, this is modern Moog people.
There are so many musicians who do not justify the price of the new Moog guitar.
Why buy an analog delay that cost as much as some people's entire guitar rig?
They want how much for an expression pedal?!?
I can buy a Theremin for under $150 on ebay.
What does a CP-251 do and why is it almost $400????
Why buy a MuRF when the ZVex thing-a-ma-job does the exact same thing for under half the price??
There is absolutely no way I would pay that much for a Voyager when it is only a mono synthesizer!!!!!!

Sure Moog could release a poly analog.

If it falls under the $8,000 tag, they fail.
There is no way Moog should release any poly in the range of the P08.
Feel the knobs on the DSI and then on the Voyager. Different worlds here people.
Those of you who really want a Moog poly should just buy a DSI, Virus Ti, or something and run it through 2 Moog LPFs.

.... But wait.... 2 Moog LPFs is an extra $500!!!! :roll:

Those of you who are crying for the Moog poly better be ready to put your money where your mouth is.
I for one would be extremely disappointed if moog made a poly that was in the price range of the Voyager.

Rickenbacker does not make a "cheap line" ala Squire or Epi.... if you are going to do it do it right.
Quality through and through.

Think about it hard.
Do I want a Moog poly????!!!!

You bet your ass I do.

The only way Moog should release a poly is if the cheapest model is $8,000.
Anything less is a discrace to the company.

If you cannot afford it, great!!!!
We live in a time where there are alternatives!!!!

I am "friends" with forum members who do not own a 104z delay. Some use the Electro-Harmonix Memory Man instead.
A good share of them are better musicians than me. I really enjoy the demos and music they share with the community.

God bless them, and God bless Moog Music.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).