I saw the Moog Movie today!!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
analogMan

I saw the Moog Movie today!!

Post by analogMan » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:00 am

Very NICE movie... You can tell Mr. Moog is a really nice and kind person who cares about what he does. A very feel good movie with lots of great footage and sounds!

I would have liked to see Wendy Carlos or Kraftwerk or Depeche Mode or Devo... but the rock guys are covered...

Nevertheless a wonderfull movie!!

If you read these forums ever Mr. Moog... thanks for making the world a little nicer.
Powermac Dual 2.5 G5, Powerbook 12" 867
Motu 828, Firewire 410
TC Powercore
Cubase SX, Ableton Live, Reason, Traktor
Real Analog Synths

theglyph

Moog Movie DVD?

Post by theglyph » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:34 am

analogMan

I own a Dual 500MHz G4 (not the silver bullet). I was told that i could upgrade to dual 1Gig speed! Do you know if this is a good idea or even worth the price? Also, do you think or know whether OSX.3 works well on the Dual 500!

As for the Moog Movie, I wish i lived in one of the cities where it is premiering! Sure, the Super Bowel is coming to Jacksonville, but the city still sucks! The World will figure this out when the city becomes the focus of this spektical!!!!

Oh Well! I can't wait until it is available on DVD!

Dr. Moog inspired me to change my life and work for an EE degree! Dr. Moog is a true hero in the realm of music because he pioneered the developement of the musical instrument of our time! Think about it, how many songs incorporate synth's in their sound structure (including samples).

Dr. Moog has recently been given prop's in the N.Y. times and by the IEEE and many other publications. Very Cool!

Thank's Dr. Moog!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:21 am

glyph -

Regarding upgrading your G4, I've read that it generally isn't cost-effective and doesn't result in a big speed increase. While replacing 500Mhz processors with 1GHz processors doubles the CPU speed, it doesn't necessarily double the proceesor throughput. Besides, bus speeds and storage device access times remain the same, so the overall speed increase may not be as dramatic as you might think. You should certainly get a performance improvement for the upgrade, but the cost may not make it worthwhile. You may be better off to save your pennies and get a new Mac at some point.

I'm running OS 10.3.4 (Panther) on a G4 Dual 1Ghz machine and it runs fine. I don't notice any difference speed-wise when I upgraded from Jaguar to Panther.

Like you, synthesizers and electronics in general made a big impact on me when I was growing up, and inspired my career choice. I've met a number of folks who have reported similar stories.

For more on Bob Moog's story, as well as the history of synths, check out the book "Analog Days".

Cheers!

- Greg

analogMan

Post by analogMan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:10 am

I agree.

In general its not worth it to simply upgrade your processor. I think after you look carefully at the upgrade price and if you want to upgrade other things like hard drive or screen and memory you will usually find just getting say a G5 iMac would be alot better.

That said... OSX 3.5 runs fine on my Dual 500... everything is cool. I use a TC Powercore and bounce alot of audio so its ok... but my Dual 2.5 G5 is on the way!!
Powermac Dual 2.5 G5, Powerbook 12" 867
Motu 828, Firewire 410
TC Powercore
Cubase SX, Ableton Live, Reason, Traktor
Real Analog Synths

base1001

Post by base1001 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:37 am

yeah.... i am waiting for teh G5 powerbooks to come out. if not soon i might breakdown and settle for G4 powerbook.

anyway back to subject. I have heard nothing but good stuff on the Moog Movie, the soundtrack does sound alright too imo.
:)
[color=blue][i][size=84]sel[/size][/i][/color]