Voyager Ed/Lib available

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
JHY

Viewing and learning from pre set patches

Post by JHY » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:08 am

cwalcott wrote:
But the real reason I want it is so I can "see" what a patch looks like. I'm still learning this insturment and it would be really instructional for me to be able to study all the available patches.

Since I have no midi link at present and no midi experience this is something that appeals to me too, but the demo doesn't seem to allow you to see the patch for the preset selected and although all the panel controls are active, none affect the sound selected.

Will someone knowledgeable post a reply letting me know whether this is a deliberate (understandable) limitation of the demo or if I have missed something?

cwalcott

Post by cwalcott » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:20 am

I hear what your saying. And you're right 1 bank is enough for the gigging musician. But what about us studio musicians? Memory is cheap these days and it's been noted on Voyager reviews. At least give me/others access to overwrite the crap ROM patches!
What ROM patches are you talking about? I wasn't aware that the Voyager had any ROM patches.

soundt

Post by soundt » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:25 am

Hi JHY,

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS ARE:

Midi Interface
MOOG Voyager OS software 2.5

For the editor to display Presets from Voyager's bank your Voyager has to be connected to your computer via Mid using both Midi In and Midi Out connections. The Midi interface has to be installed on your computer along with it's midi drivers. If one likes to use a Midi Interface that is bundled on computer's motherboard then a special Midi cable is needed that connects to a PC's joystick port. In this case, the proper settings also have to be made in computer's BIOS. Soundcards with a bundled Midi ports can also be used. Of course the best is to have a external USB midi interface or similar. If you do not have one, I recommend to check MidiSport at www.midiman.com .

The editor has to know which Midi port your Voyager is connected to so after starting the program you need to go to Midi Setup located under Midi menu. For complete editor's instructions please visit:

http://www.soundtower.com/moog/help/

There is also a help file included with the editor. To display it simply press F1 key.

In the demo mode you can freely edit all Voyager's parameters in both 8 bit (corresponding to Voyager's LCD parameter display) or true 16 bit modes. There are no limitations in the Demo regarding preset parameter change. All controls: sliders, switches will work. However, saving and loading files, writing and transmitting presets to Voyager is disabled. Also sending Presets made by Patch Generators, placed to libraries, dragged from banks and etc. is limited to 5 per session and practically disabled. The editing session is limited to 10 minutes and the program has to be restarted.

soundt

Post by soundt » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:31 pm

At least give me/others access to overwrite the crap ROM patches!
Access granted! You can press EDIT button on Voyager, scroll to "Save Preset" and press ENTER. Of course you can also use the software to do it fast.
Also, it's not clear from the page, but if we purchase it does that give us universal platform access (MAC/PC editor versions)? or do we have to pay twice
Myself, I cannot really answer this question but I imagine that the registration covers both versions.

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:10 pm

I have the evolver editor for PC and I think its amazing , I havent come across a problem in 6 months with heavy useage. So I will say good job there soundtower guy. Also I stopped going to the evolver yahoo forums due to the fact nothing of use was ever stated there, just thousands of "sucktower" posts and nothing that could help anyone who actually needed it. Personally for me I use software interfaces for more complex synths that require alot of "menu diving" , for me I dont see the need to get one for the voyager as it is quite straight forward and I enjoy the knobwerk. I will check out the demo to see the patch generators tho :D
All the best with your new software.

T.R

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:35 pm

Soundtower - it's great to have you here, and welcome to the forum!

As a Apple Macintosh user, I anxiously await the Mac release of the Voyager Ed/Lib. Any idea when? Also, will the Mac version be OSX (Panther) or OS9?

Cheers!

Greg

goldphinga

voyager editor

Post by goldphinga » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:52 pm

i would like to congratulate moog and the voyager editor programmers for their efforts. although i have yet to try the editor as i am a mac user, i would like to say the following in response to some previous posts. the editor is a great idea and i feel its worth the asking price alone just for the patch organising facilities. how many sounds do people want??? i think its ridiculous that certain people on the list complain about the price of the editor and that itn should be free to exisitng owners but $80 hardly breaks the bank for the features that are being offered. if thats too much money then don't buy it. remember quality not quantity. seems some voyager owners are never satisfied.

if the voyager never had another update or a software editor it would still be a great instrument and nobody can knock moog for their efforts. give them a break, they are trying hard to answer everyones queries and still some think that isn't good enough. the voyager is the best monosynth around in my opinion and has never let me down on stage or in the studio. i can no longer rely on my minimoog for these tasks due to tuning and programability issues. the voyager is a keyboard players dream in this respect its the perfect balance of old and new, it sounds every bit as good as the original model d without the hassle. the editor is another big step forwards in the ongoing development of the voyager. the integration of software and hardware is great. and no, i don't work for moog!!!
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

soundt

Post by soundt » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:47 pm

Soundtower - it's great to have you here, and welcome to the forum!

As a Apple Macintosh user, I anxiously await the Mac release of the Voyager Ed/Lib. Any idea when? Also, will the Mac version be OSX (Panther) or OS9?
Thank you!
I would like to make the Mac Classic version but I am afraid this may not be possible. The Voyager Editor for Mac will be compiled only for Mac OSX Jaguar/Panther systems. Porting work has started and a first beta should be available in early October.[/quote]

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:19 pm

How about just writing a librarian?? Being able to move, store and name patches would be great.....

monads

Post by monads » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:42 am

When I was speaking of overwriting the ROM patches, I'm talking about the ones permanently stored somewhere in the Voyager's OS I assume? I only ask because they're instantly recallable in Master mode which leads me to believe I can somehow overwrite them. Sorry for being unclear on this.

How many sounds do ya need? Give me two banks and I'll shut up :)

corkyburger

Post by corkyburger » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:41 am

Sorry to continue this Evolver thing but did you ever consider it might be appropriate to finish what you'd started with the Evolver editor before moving on to something else eg Moog edior?

You can't really blame people who paid for your software for being pissed off. Stupidly I didn't try the demo first, if I had I'm sure I wouidn't have parted with my cash. I believed stupidly that if Dave Smith had chosen to use your software then it must be quality. I never got one reply to any of the emails I sent to your support emailo address, this is very disrespectfull. I couldn't even find instructions on using it!!

Maybe when you get round to finishing the new Evolver editor you can let me know. In the meantime maybe you'll do me a deal on the Moog Voyager editor to make up for the hassle.

Oh and a word of advice; you might want to consider your attitude. Have you never heard the phrase 'the customer is always right'? Whether or not you really believe this to be the case it certainly pays to be courteus to your customers.

Regards
CB

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:07 am

soundt wrote:

<< SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS ARE:
Midi Interface
MOOG Voyager OS software 2.5 >>

Voyager OS 2.5? I thought the current OS is version 2.4. Did Moog release a new version of the OS for the Voyager?

monads

Post by monads » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:12 am

GregAE wrote:soundt wrote:

<< SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS ARE:
Midi Interface
MOOG Voyager OS software 2.5 >>

Voyager OS 2.5? I thought the current OS is version 2.4. Did Moog release a new version of the OS for the Voyager?
He's gotta be referring to 2.4. 2.2 was completely skipped and 2.3 was released to work with the editor and it's features. I didn't even know 2.4 was out.

soundt

Post by soundt » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:24 pm

The version that I have here is:

System Version 2.5
Boot Version 2.3

System Version 2.5 contains all changes made to Voyager' Midi Implementation.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:10 pm

soundt -

Please check with Moog on this. The latest version of the Voyager OS that can be downloaded from the Moog website is 2.4. If there is a 2.5 update, I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site.

Cheers!

Greg