Nearing the end of 2004 = Anniversary edition running out?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
pengo

Nearing the end of 2004 = Anniversary edition running out?

Post by pengo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:29 pm

I'm starting to get a little nervous...I'd probably better just suck it up and order one by the next month or so...anyone else in the same boat?

FreqOut

Post by FreqOut » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:06 pm

I can't decide if I want to get my performer edition converted to an anniversary edition. The AE definately looks cool, but I worry about the backlight dimmer adding some hum to the output...
I'm thinking that the AE versions will be worth more $ in the future (not like I'd ever sell my voyager), but I just don't want to be without my favorite synth for the time it would take to get it converted!

pengo

Post by pengo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:42 pm

I never thought of the backlight adding an unwanted noise to the output. I'm willing to risk it though, I'm sure it would be quite minimal if anything. All I'm hoping is that the sound design possibilities of the instrument live up to what I'm imagining they will!

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:16 pm

The backlit display does not add hum to the output. I have done A/B test using my AE and my friends Performer. I sampled the Voyagers in Sound Forge and compared the waveforms… no hum what we could see.

It would be interesting to know how many AE’s that was manufactured. Will it be more limited then the Signature Edition??

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

dlg

Post by dlg » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:35 pm

FreqOut wrote:I can't decide if I want to get my performer edition converted to an anniversary edition.
FreqOut, do you know for sure that Moog is going to offer the AE conversion again :?:

I really hope they do!!

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:28 am

If they still continue the backlight option in future models then that's fine! Instead of spending money on another Voyager, you could invest it in a completely different synth!

dlg

Post by dlg » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:03 am

Boeing 737-400 wrote:If they still continue the backlight option in future models then that's fine! Instead of spending money on another Voyager, you could invest it in a completely different synth!
I don't want to buy another Voyager, just convert my Performer to AE. Does anyone know if moog is going to offer this conversion again before 2004 is over?

:?:

FreqOut

Post by FreqOut » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:05 pm

dlg wrote:
FreqOut wrote:I can't decide if I want to get my performer edition converted to an anniversary edition.

FreqOut, do you know for sure that Moog is going to offer the AE conversion again :?:

I really hope they do!!
I didn't realize they had stopped offering it, but now that I've looked through the website I can't find that option anywhere. Strange....
I bet they'd do it anyway though.
Anyone know?

theglyph

BacKlight control hum!

Post by theglyph » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:19 pm

I believe the transformer used to control the panel lights has no connection to the audio circuit's within the AE Voyager. Also, i don't hear any hum at the outputs when the control is at it's maximum. Therefore, don't let discourage anyone from buying one of these beautifull units.

BTW, I'm in the path of IVAN so let's hope all goes well.

Best Wishes!

Sunsinger

AE Backlight Hum

Post by Sunsinger » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:36 pm

I have an AE #117...The backlight does not add any noise to the signal path...
End of discussion... The hum is caused by the rather large LED membrane behind the face-panel controlled by a dimmer. It is that circuit only which causes the hum, and is completely isolated from the audio signal path... Moog engineers confirm this.
The backlite is rated at about 5000 hours of life with the dimmer fully on, which by the way causes the hum to be at its loudest... Turning the dimmer down to the 11 O'clock position ruduces the hum to a non audible level (almost), and greatly increases the life of the LED. It also still looks really cool.

Sunsinger :idea:
"Work with what you've got" Eno

Amos

Performer to Anniversary conversion is back!

Post by Amos » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:34 pm

Starting this week, Moog Music is resuming the Voyager conversion service. If you want your Performer (or Signature) Edition Voyager converted to the backlit Anniversary Edition, check the website for details or just give Moog a call...

Only five conversions will be scheduled per week, but this should keep turnaround times very low.

If you've had an interest in this program in the past, now is the time to get it done!

Cheers,

Amos