Voyager or Modular

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat May 30, 2009 7:34 am

I guess I never thought about sample and hold that way but you have a point. It amazes me how many videos of synths I see always show someone using a sequencer or drum machine and then fooling around with resonance and filter cuttoff or using sample and hold or some type of random voltage generator. I have a sample and hold of the CP-251 so I will have to try experimenting with this technique. Thanks.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat May 30, 2009 9:50 am

Amos wrote:One option would be a Voyager (rack with VX-351 and VX-352) alongside a small Euro-cabinet stocked primarily with the extra pulse-gens, gate dividers and vactrol wobbulators that you don't get from the Moog side. You can do great things with the Moog oscillators (and yes they FM quite nicely), but what you need alongside that is esoteric modulation sources.
Kinda like this!

The Euro rack conatins several Buchla inspired modules including the Makenoise Wogglebug, Plan B model 15 and model 13 and the Deopfer A-143-1! All of these minus the 143 contain vactorals. In the photo my Voyagers oscillators are being processed via the model 13 vactoral based low pass gate which is a clone of on Buchla 292.

So it's Buchla and Moog interacting for some good fun! :D

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat May 30, 2009 10:55 am

I absolutely low your setup! All that is unfamiliar to me is the yellow synth. Never seen one of these before. I see the foogers on top. I also like your rack. It looks like you added some fo the shelves. Do you mind me asking where you got this? I would love to have a three shelf setup. Right now I have the M3, a tilt rack for the foogers and then another rack for a patch bay and my eventide but I would love to have something more like this.

I also like the idea that you are controlling the voyager with a Buchla inspired LPG. Great integration.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat May 30, 2009 11:37 am

The yellow synth is the Waldorf Q. It's a VA with a crapload of features.

An interesting note is that the VX-351 translates MIDI into CV data coming through the Voyager. As such my Waldorf's sequencer, arpeggiator and keyboard can control the Voyager which in turn can translate the Q's MIDI data into a gate and 1V/oct CV which I then use to control my Euro's oscillators (which have 1V/oct CV iputs) and clocks (A160/161). It's a complete integration with seemingly unlimited possibilities. :D

The stand/shelf can be found here:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=452069

The Voyager, foogers and Euro case are sitting on fiber board I picked up at either Lowe's or Home Depot. They work well with the stand.

Also, the Voyager's oscillators are being routed to the m13 via the mixer i/0. The m13's gates are being controlled/opened by the touch surface gate output on the 351. This is a fun performance trick and the sound is amazing.

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sat May 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Nice toys, can you post some work?

Also, could you please elaborate on how exactly the VX-351 converts MIDI into CV?

I'm considering buying one and that would be an excellent feature that would definitely seal the deal :D
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat May 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I will get one of these racks. My Korg M3 has many outs and ins. I can easily route audio in so separate effects or even use in vocoder and then send different channels to different outs. so I connected all these via cable snake to a patch bay. The snake keeps them together which I like.

But I would love to at least get my patch bay and Eventide Ecclipse and perhaps a few other rack mount effecst that I have above or below my M3 and then be able to get the Voyager and modular at a latter date. I also want to put my laptop inteface on a shelf in the rack and then put the laptop on the top shelf for recording and Ableton Live. I have it on my desktop but I think I can use it one other place on the same license.

This would give me a complete portable setup that I can move easily when I need to. I tend to move every 3 years or so do to my job so I need to keep somewhat moble.

I like what you say about the MIDI aspects of Voyager and again, it makes me still want to get a Voyager for a few reasons. 1st - I do consider myself a composer but my composition is in setting up tracks with instruments and effects and then layering those together. I don't write music in the classic sense but use many electronic elements to create a final mix. However, sometimes creating those elements is most of the work. The performance part is only a mater of a few takes if I don't like results I hear. So my work is sound design, composition and performance. I got a Korg M3 because it is a performance synth perhaps even more than workstation.

The 2nd reason is that while I do have a MIDI to CV convertor which I will use until I get a Voyager, I love the easy integration of the analogue and MIDI worlds. Buchla has done a grreat job of this on their 200e music box but I can only dream of having one of these. I really like the Voyager. It sounds great, like my M3, its peformance oriented, like the M3 and again, it bridges the digital and analogue words.

Anyway, thanks for the great advice and link on the stand and your setup. Sound great and I to would love to hear your work.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat May 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Subtronik wrote:Nice toys, can you post some work?

Also, could you please elaborate on how exactly the VX-351 converts MIDI into CV?

I'm considering buying one and that would be an excellent feature that would definitely seal the deal :D
I'll hopefully be able to post some noodlings within the next week!

The VX-351's Keyboard pitch output receives the same voltage as the one that is applied to the Voyager's internal oscillators. This voltages come from the digi board and is controlled by either the Voyagers keyboard or incoming MIDI note data. The pitch output is set by an internal trimmer at the factory to 1V/oct. The 351's keyboard gate output triggers from either the keyboard or an incoming MIDI note on message.

For other MIDI-to-CV duties such as CC-to-CV you may want to look elsewhere but this setup works fine for me.

Cheers!

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat May 30, 2009 4:16 pm

I may use my MIDI to CV for using some of my M3s controllers. Controlling foofers using the M3's touch screen would be amazing. Just have to set it up.

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sat May 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Lux_Seeker wrote:I may use my MIDI to CV for using some of my M3s controllers. Controlling foofers using the M3's touch screen would be amazing. Just have to set it up.
Let us know how that goes ok?
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat May 30, 2009 7:41 pm

OK

stsystem

Re:

Post by stsystem » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:29 am

theglyph wrote:
Amos wrote:One option would be a Voyager (rack with VX-351 and VX-352) alongside a small Euro-cabinet stocked primarily with the extra pulse-gens, gate dividers and vactrol wobbulators that you don't get from the Moog side. You can do great things with the Moog oscillators (and yes they FM quite nicely), but what you need alongside that is esoteric modulation sources.
Kinda like this!

The Euro rack conatins several Buchla inspired modules including the Makenoise Wogglebug, Plan B model 15 and model 13 and the Deopfer A-143-1! All of these minus the 143 contain vactorals. In the photo my Voyagers oscillators are being processed via the model 13 vactoral based low pass gate which is a clone of on Buchla 292.

So it's Buchla and Moog interacting for some good fun! :D
Hi,

I have a Doepfer a 100 case and a Voyager i want to know if everything work fine with your system...all kind of modules can interact with the Voyager? i´m knew with the Voyager! :roll:

Thanks a lot
Thanks

Vsyevolod

Re: Voyager or Modular

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:06 pm

The person you are asking this question of has last used this forum about two years ago. My guess is that he won't be responding...

Stephen

ColorForm2113

Re:

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:50 am

ikazlar wrote:
jon_kull wrote:Look at modules from Plan B
Don't even think about getting anything Plan B.
unless your name is Trent Reznor :lol:

but id say keep your eyes on this company http://www.verboselectronics.com/. they make Buchla style modules for about half the price. im a big fan of the Buchla stuff as well so ill have to wait and see what happens with Verbos Electronics, they are debuting at NAMM
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

BTByrd

Re: Re:

Post by BTByrd » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote: but id say keep your eyes on this company http://www.verboselectronics.com/. they make Buchla style modules for about half the price. im a big fan of the Buchla stuff as well so ill have to wait and see what happens with Verbos Electronics, they are debuting at NAMM
Also check out Make Noise and Malekko/Wiard modules.

stsystem

Re: Voyager or Modular

Post by stsystem » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 am

Vsyevolod wrote:The person you are asking this question of has last used this forum about two years ago. My guess is that he won't be responding...

Stephen

Ok Thanks ;)