NIN 'Closer' synth bass on KT

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
GregAE

NIN 'Closer' synth bass on KT

Post by GregAE » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Haven't had time to dial-in that Nine Inch Nails 'Closer' synth bass patch that was featured in the March 2009 US issue of Keyboard Magazine?

Not to worry, fellow Moog enthusiasts, because in the true spirit of 'knob tweakery' we've done it for you, and posted the patch on KnobTweak. By dialing in all of the basic patch parameters, we've taken care of the 'heavy lifting' - all you need to do is tweak it to perfection! The 'Closer' synth bass patch is available for the Voyager and Little Phatty (.syx format) as well as for the Old School (patch sheet).

Look in the Voyager and Little Phatty 'Patch' folders on KnobTweak.

Come and get it!

KnobTweak Members: If you want to be alerted when new files are posted, click on the 'Edit Membership' link and change the Message Delivery method to 'Individual Email', then save the change. You will receive email messages every time a new file or message is posted.

- Greg

musiclovr89

Post by musiclovr89 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:52 pm

thanks for posting this! :]

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Very cool! I can't wait to try it out.

You might also grab the LP 2 patches that Amos posted in another thread. He has them as individual syx files in a zip file instead of as a bundle of 100.

dlearyus

Knob Tweaks

Post by dlearyus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 am

heya greg I've joined the group...just waiting for approval :)

gr8 idea!!!!

Cheers ;)

DL

LPTE #585

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:12 pm

Awesome, Greg! Thanks! :mrgreen: I'll have to come up with a cool patch to share as well, now.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

joachim_s

Re: NIN 'Closer' synth bass on KT

Post by joachim_s » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:59 am

I'm not familiar with Little Phatty and Voyager. Is this patch able to use in a Moog VSTi or such? Otherwise, can someone help me with samples?

Kindly,
Joachim Sällström

n2design

Post by n2design » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi,
I transferred the NIN patch via midi ox but once I change presets and go back, its no longer there.

I then tried loading sysex and double tapping the master button to save but it but it brings up an OS menu. Seems like the only way to save a sysex loaded patch is to modify it in some way and then the master double tap works.

Any way around saving the unedited patch that was loaded via midi ox?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:09 pm

n2design wrote:Hi,
I transferred the NIN patch via midi ox but once I change presets and go back, its no longer there.

I then tried loading sysex and double tapping the master button to save but it but it brings up an OS menu. Seems like the only way to save a sysex loaded patch is to modify it in some way and then the master double tap works.

Any way around saving the unedited patch that was loaded via midi ox?
Never ran into this problem. I have had the patch on my LP since it first was uploaded to KT. It could be a bug in the latest OS. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Any chance of that NIN bass patch for the Minitaur? :)

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:55 am

Hi Greg, thanks for this. I would also love to translate this to the Minitaur! :D
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

joachim_s

Post by joachim_s » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:13 am

Did anyone answer my question above? I don't understand half of what you're saying.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 am

artpunk wrote:Hi Greg, thanks for this. I would also love to translate this to the Minitaur! :D
Hi Art,

Wish I could dial this one up for you (and other interested folks), but I had to return the Minitaur back to Moog after I completed the User Manual, and I haven't gotten around to picking up one for myself.

If you want to take a crack at it, I'd be happy to see that the patch gets posted on KT (if you're not already a member).

PM me if interested.

Greg

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:37 pm

joachim_s wrote:I'm not familiar with Little Phatty and Voyager. Is this patch able to use in a Moog VSTi or such? Otherwise, can someone help me with samples?

Kindly,
Joachim Sällström
The patch is a sysex file, uploaded to the Little Phatty via MIDI input or USB. I don't know if it an be used in a VSTi as it is.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:08 pm

@joachim_s - You could always use the patch sheet (in the old school folder) and dial in the values as shown there on your VST. Hopefully it might translate to a close approximation of the sound intended?
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

BHC303