Software Sequencers?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
CountRockula

Software Sequencers?

Post by CountRockula » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:50 pm

Has anyone used a software sequencer, say like "Reason" or others to trigger notes via midi on their Moog Voayager? Is this possible? I already own several sequencing programs including Reason and am looking for a cheap alternitave for hardware products like the Fat Controller. I am a poor keyboard player and want a sequencer to play it for me and just let me tweak the knobs. I know I can just use Reason but The Moog sounds sooooo much better.

CountRockula

I figured it out

Post by CountRockula » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:43 am

:P
I'm totally stoked, I just figured out how to run sequences to my Moog Voyager via software midi!! This means that you don't have to go and buy any expensive hardware sequencers like say the "Fat Controller". That is if you have a computer and some basic midi software that is. I just sat down for about 4 hours and after about 6 sundowners later I found the solution. Funny thing is that it is so simple. If I knew what I was doing I could have set it up in about 2 minuites. If you have Pro Tools or any kind of decent recording software you can set it up EASY! The cool thing is that you can do simple 8,16..whatever sequences with slides and the works or you can record entire songs like a regular keyboard. Once you get the notes enterd in and hit paly you can adjust everything on the Moog knob wise just like you would playing live. This setup just made my Voyager 10 times cooler than it already was which says allot.

Anyways I don't want to go into details on how I set it up right now. I'm curious if other folks are interested in this. If anyone replies to this post I will be more than happy to explain in detail haow to set it up. Like I said you don't have to go out and buy an expensive hardware sequencer if you have a PC, midi interface, and some easy to obtain recording software\sequencing software.

Looking forward to some replies!! Time for another sundowner.

dan d

Post by dan d » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:11 pm

I don't want to flame you so: WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF MUSIC PRODUCTION!

CountRockula

Post by CountRockula » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:18 pm

Oh.. I'm so sorry to insult your your intelligence Dan. There are infact people that have that have bought this product that aren't synth gurus like yourself. Just thought that other newbies may be interested in this subject. Looks like I need to find another forum, one where theres not so many snobs.

Sorry Dan, I'll bet your a real peach in person.

courtney214

Post by courtney214 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:36 pm

Hey Count, feel free to post "newbie" stuff on my thread, for newbies! That's what I created it for. The more experienced users won't ever even need to read it -- because that thread is for beginners!

Being a beginner myself, I appreciate just about any relevant information that may help me out with my Voyager. I am sure other beginners will as well.

Welcome! :)

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:06 am

You can certainly record note information to your sequencer. But, as for real-time tweaks, you'll still have to perform them digitally (you know, with your ten digits... fingerstyle!) Yes, it would be nice to record this stuff to MIDI. However, seeing as how the Voyager gives us 14-bit precision (exponentially greater than MIDI's limit of 8 bits), I'm willing to give that up if I must. However, I'm perfectly happy tweaking these controls by hand. This means that there's human soul inherent in every Voyager recording, even if it's only the control of knob position.

Also, I see the Voyager as a performance synth. So high-resolution realtime control is not merely a nice extra, but a necessity. It's a must-have for those of us who love the non-glitchy nature of our analog instruments. If that means always-only-hands-on-control, then so be it.

Long live expressiveness! Early death to presets! Long live continuous controls! Death to music without expression and evolution!

My opinion only-

-Hoax

CountRockula

Sequencing

Post by CountRockula » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:03 am

Maybe I wasn't clear on the main point of this post. What I was wanting to do was to run a sequence of notes from my PC and have them play through the Voyager. While the sequence is running I could use BOTH hands to tweak the knobs on the Voyager while running the sequence. And yes I am running midi notes to the Voyager and am able to tweak ALL of the knobs to change the sounds around. The PC is only telling the Moog what notes to play nothing else. Essentialy my PC is emulating an analog sequencer like a Doepfer Mak\16 or a Frostwave Fat Controller.

Anyways I'm now using Reason to create 16 part squences, importing the sequences into a Pro Tools midi track, then running the midi out to the Moog midi in. This may sound like allot of work but you can make some pretty interesting patterns with Reason. In my opinion this is way more powerfull and usefull than any analog sequencer I've seen, plus it did'nt cost me anything.

I mostly play guitar and sing and am not really a keyboard player. I bought the Voyager to accompany my band and for live cool sound effects and leads, if you can call them that. I now plan to take my laptop on stage to run the sequences over to the Moog, then I can just walk up to the Moog and start turning knobs. I'm working on getting it setup now. Should make for an interesting show.

The main point is..I was going to buy a Fat Controler. Now I don't have to.

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:10 am

I still thinks that a computer on stage is a critical factor.
Specially also if u use a "free" copy of reason.
It#s a sin that reason don't give out midi to external stuff, this is on wish list for the next update.
To use a computer live on stage u have to look for a good and save place.
If i where you, i would prefer the small yamaha qy70 which you can put inside the voyager when it's open.
Stefan

CountRockula

Post by CountRockula » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Reason is included with any new purchase of Pro Tools. I have the MBox. Good point about using "free" software. I would be way more worried about someone stealing my Moog than the laptop though. I wish someone would come up with a way to run midi sequences From a handheld like and Ipaq or a Dell Axim. Now that would be cool! I've actually seen development for the interface but nothing for software. Someone will probobly make a million dollers off that concept. I wish I knew how to program. $$

I'm going to go check out the Yamaha qy70. Thanks.

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:49 am

CountRockula wrote: I wish someone would come up with a way to run midi sequences From a handheld like and Ipaq or a Dell Axim. Now that would be cool!
there already was something kinda like that the roland pma-5. you can even use a stylus
you should check it out its an oldie but goodie

Sunsinger

Sequencers

Post by Sunsinger » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:23 pm

Check out http://www.five12.com/ for a really cool demo version of Jim Coker's
Numerology software for the Mac OSX. Modelled on analog style sequencing, it offers many strange and tweaky options, including access to AU plugins...
I use it on my Voyager...
Really a revolutionary sequencer program and great support by Jim.

Sunsinger :idea:
"Work with what you've got" Eno