What is missing from a Voyager XL?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
LivePsy

Re: What is missing from a Voyager XL?

Post by LivePsy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:54 am

So you aren't connecting anything to the CV inputs of the Voyager?

B
I've stopped talking now.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:57 am

jsharpphoto wrote: ...but gaining up the voyager's oscillators to match the modular level to use wave folders or audio manglers gets difficult. There is a module made to bring the voyager level up, but I haven't made room for it yet. It's made by analog craftsman, the 4x Input Interface.
There's also the Dotcom Q118 Instrument Interface:

http://www.synthesizers.com/q118.html.

You could also try the trick of splitting the signal and using a mixer to combine multiple copies into a larger signal. If you already have a Q112 (4-chan) or Q113 (8-chan), you have everything you need to try it.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:16 am

GregAE wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote: ...but gaining up the voyager's oscillators to match the modular level to use wave folders or audio manglers gets difficult. There is a module made to bring the voyager level up, but I haven't made room for it yet. It's made by analog craftsman, the 4x Input Interface.

You could also try the trick of splitting the signal and using a mixer to combine multiple copies into a larger signal. If you already have a Q112 (4-chan) or Q113 (8-chan), you have everything you need to try it.
You might also want to check out the Q125 Signal Processor from http://www.synthesizers.com

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:54 am

LivePsy wrote:So you aren't connecting anything to the CV inputs of the Voyager?

B
If the said that, I misspoke. I use the CV in's and outs of the modular and XL on every patch, even if they are running separate voices. Using the ribbon controller to sweep the modular filter, mixed with the midi sync'd S&H to make textured filter sweeps, or using the q119 as an arpeggiator for the XL. I'm only getting started.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:53 pm

GregAE wrote:

I think it makes most sense to use the dotcom instrument interface on the front end for the voyager signal going to the modular, but if/when I build a 5u case, I would get the 4x interface as well for fuzz boxes and stuff.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:15 pm

My main reason for holding off on the Insturment interface is that I still prefer my voyager sound to pass through the dual low-pass filters for stereo imaging. The only reason I would need for matching volume levels is if I wanted to stack my q106 with the voyager, and I can do that with attenuation. If I'm sending the voyager's audio into the modular, it's for things like wave folders or filters, which operate almost the same way regardless of signal level. Now if I wanted to stack the voyager and a Q106 WHILE using a 5u filter, then that's another story.

I only have half of my 44 space cabinet filled, currently. I will include an Insturment interface in the other half, most likely.

Essentially though, I could have filled an entire 44 space cabinet with sequencers, filters, mults, signal processors, attenuators and LFO's... And it would never be redundant with a voyager XL.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:12 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:My main reason for holding off on the Insturment interface is that I still prefer my voyager sound to pass through the dual low-pass filters for stereo imaging. The only reason I would need for matching volume levels is if I wanted to stack my q106 with the voyager, and I can do that with attenuation. If I'm sending the voyager's audio into the modular, it's for things like wave folders or filters, which operate almost the same way regardless of signal level. Now if I wanted to stack the voyager and a Q106 WHILE using a 5u filter, then that's another story.

I only have half of my 44 space cabinet filled, currently. I will include an Insturment interface in the other half, most likely.

Essentially though, I could have filled an entire 44 space cabinet with sequencers, filters, mults, signal processors, attenuators and LFO's... And it would never be redundant with a voyager XL.
Sounds like great fun. :)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:34 am

TimeEchoProductions wrote:Sounds like great fun. :)
Actually, that made me completely reconsider my plans for the other half of my 44 space. I was adding a few more oscillators and enough EG and Amp modules that they could all do their own thing. Not anymore.

I scaled it back to just one more q106 (already had one) and consolidated to have just one modular voice (with two oscillators) and lots of wave manglers and frequency dividers and tons of utilities.

Cheaper this way too. And besides, I already have the voyager, sub37, minitaur and I just pre-ordered the Dreadbox HADES. How many independent voices do I need?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:08 am

Would you share what you are getting for the mangler/effect section?
Also, have you looked at an Oakley Discontinuity?

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:24 pm

I like what that Oakley module says it does, but haven't spent enough time with it to find out how well it actually does those tasks. I am very happy with the quality of the suite and tie guy modules that I have, so will probably pick up his wave folder when he gets done with the redesign.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:09 am

TimeEchoProductions wrote:Would you share what you are getting for the mangler/effect section?
I saw your rack over on modular grid. I just picked up the morhping terrarium, i'll let you know how it sounds. Instead of the STG wave folder, I opted for the SSL 5-Pulser. One isn't better than the other, but I had some store credit at a place with the 5-Pulser in stock.... so, things have a way of working out.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:41 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:
TimeEchoProductions wrote:Would you share what you are getting for the mangler/effect section?
I saw your rack over on modular grid. I just picked up the morhping terrarium, i'll let you know how it sounds. Instead of the STG wave folder, I opted for the SSL 5-Pulser. One isn't better than the other, but I had some store credit at a place with the 5-Pulser in stock.... so, things have a way of working out.

oh, lol. I didn't realize my messing around on there was publicly viewable. I have just been looking around on there and brain storming a bit.

Morphing terrarium looks great. I would like to hear it as an lfo as well.