Questions concerning the Mod Busses

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Markus72

Questions concerning the Mod Busses

Post by Markus72 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello, I have been the lucky owner of a new Moog Voyager SPE for a few weeks now.

There are a few things that I do not understand about the Mod Busses yet and I thought that maybe someone in this forum can help me with two of my questions:

1. When I select "Noise Level" as PGM-Mod-Destination for the Pedal/On-Bus nothing happens. The noise level is not altered - no matter which Mod Source I select.

2. Let's say that I would like to control vibrato just by aftertouch. I have not found out how to set it up, that there is absolutely no vibrato if I do not bring in the aftertouch. It seems that I always have to use the amount control to add a little vibrato first, before I can "shape" it or "amplify" it with the aftertouch.

nuon

Re: Questions concerning the Mod Busses

Post by nuon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:54 pm

hi! i am having more or less the same issue ...
any help yet ?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:06 pm

Markus72 wrote:Hello, I have been the lucky owner of a new Moog Voyager SPE for a few weeks now.

There are a few things that I do not understand about the Mod Busses yet and I thought that maybe someone in this forum can help me with two of my questions:

1. When I select "Noise Level" as PGM-Mod-Destination for the Pedal/On-Bus nothing happens. The noise level is not altered - no matter which Mod Source I select.
With this setting, you are selecting 'Noise' as the modulator source. The noise source should then affect whatever is set up as the destination. For example, if the destination is 'Pitch', you should hear the effect of noise on the oscillator pitch as you bring up the Pedal/ON Buss 'Amount' control (try it and see). The level of the effect is only altered somewhat by the settings on the 'Shaping' control knob. That's just the way it works. Unless your Voyager has a problem here, a bit of experimenting with these controls should clear this up for you.
Markus72 wrote:2. Let's say that I would like to control vibrato just by aftertouch. I have not found out how to set it up, that there is absolutely no vibrato if I do not bring in the aftertouch. It seems that I always have to use the amount control to add a little vibrato first, before I can "shape" it or "amplify" it with the aftertouch.
Sorry, but you can't control the full range of vibrato with just Aftertouch (Pressure) on the Voyager.

When set to 'Pressure', the Shaping knob will give you some additional control over the level of vibrato, but at least some minimum amount of vibrato must always be present or you won't hear the effect at all (i.e. the 'Amount' knob can't be set to '0').

That said, for the totally controllable vibrato that I think you're after, you are better off programming the Mod Wheel buss for this and controlling the effect with your left hand on the Wheel. If you are unfamiliar with this performance technique, with a little bit of practice it will become quite natural... :D

- Greg

Markus72

Post by Markus72 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:22 pm

GregAE wrote:With this setting, you are selecting 'Noise' as the modulator source. The noise source should then affect whatever is set up as the destination. For example, if the destination is 'Pitch', you should hear the effect of noise on the oscillator pitch as you bring up the Pedal/ON Buss 'Amount' control (try it and see). The level of the effect is only altered somewhat by the settings on the 'Shaping' control knob. That's just the way it works. Unless your Voyager has a problem here, a bit of experimenting with these controls should clear this up for you.
I am sorry Greg, I did not select Noise as a source, but Noise level as a destination - nothing happens.

Markus72

Post by Markus72 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:26 pm

GregAE wrote:When set to 'Pressure', the Shaping knob will give you some additional control over the level of vibrato, but at least some minimum amount of vibrato must always be present or you won't hear the effect at all (i.e. the 'Amount' knob can't be set to '0').
Thank you. I had guessed that already. Your answer reassures me, that the effect I get is the normal behaviour of the bus.
GregAE wrote:That said, for the totally controllable vibrato that I think you're after, you are better off programming the Mod Wheel buss for this and controlling the effect with your left hand on the Wheel. If you are unfamiliar with this performance technique, with a little bit of practice it will become quite natural... :D
Thanks. I am quite familiar with this playing technique. But I prefer to control the filter via the wheel and the vibrato via aftertouch. Does not seem to be possible with the Voyager. What a pity.

SonicVI

Post by SonicVI » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:08 am

Markus72 wrote: Thanks. I am quite familiar with this playing technique. But I prefer to control the filter via the wheel and the vibrato via aftertouch. Does not seem to be possible with the Voyager. What a pity.
Bringing up an oldish thread. What you can do is manual vibrato with the aftertouch rather than LFO vibrato. Set the Source to On, Destination to Pitch, Shaping to Pressure and the amount to just about as low as you can get it and still have an effect with the pressure. When you increase the bus amount however it will raise the overall pitch. If you set the bus amount so that the pitch only goes up a half to whole step or so you can then turn down the master fine tune knob down to return to concert pitch. A tuner or reference pitch will help with this, and of course the fine tune control is not saved with presets, but it's a work around that will let you bring in pitch bend using aftertouch and it responds very well to finger wiggling for vibrato.

Rick B

Post by Rick B » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 am

I too wanted to control vibrato amount from the keyboard it can be done using Pot mapping. In a patch where the modulation wheel is creating the kind of vibrato you want to trigger via after touch, using pot mapping route aftertouch to modulation wheel, set amount % and polarity for desired sensativity and effect and you're good to go… I hope my memory served me well for these basic instructions ...
Voyager Electric Blue, Sub Phatty, Moog Prodigy