Aftertouch vibrato without using a mod bus?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
midilifestyle

Aftertouch vibrato without using a mod bus?

Post by midilifestyle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

If I have a 251/351, is it possible to make aftertouch trigger a vibrato?
Obviously I can send aftertouch cv somewhere, and I can get an LFO signal from the 351, but how do I use those signals to tell the LFO amplitude in the 351 to increase when I press aftertouch?

The deal is that I want to keep my two mod busses free for pot mapping, as (I think) the TS memory only works if the TS is connected to one of the two mod busses.

Thanks fellow nerds!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Aftertouch vibrato without using a mod bus?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:25 pm

I don't think the CP-251 allows for signal multiplication -that's what modbusses are about...

Anyone, any trick?...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 pm

You can't, without a VCA or better said, a voltage controlled attenuator. If

You would need to take LFO out from either the VX-351 or from a CP-251 into the "signal in" on a VCA
Aftertouch voltage from VX-351 into the CV control on a VCA
"signal out" from a VCA into Voyager Pitch in CV

If you want the amount variable, put an attenuator inline between the LFO and VCA

If you don't mind using your left hand, you can wire the attenuator of the VX-351 to actuate the vibrato, but from a playing style perspective, that is likely a deal breaker.

It's times like this that you really want a MoogerFooger with a VCA on it ... :(

Voyager owners that do not solder but do have VX-351 and maybe even CP-251 should look into getting a "Box 4" from synthesizers.com. About $105 if you already have a good variable power supply; http://synthesizers.com/qcb124.html

They sell DIN supplies for $80 here: http://synthesizers.com/qps4.html

And your first module, a VCA here for $97: http://synthesizers.com/q108.html

Out the door for about $300. Feels expensive but once you buy your 2nd and 3rd module, the base investment pays off, in my opinion. But do yourself a favor and take a solemn oath to not grow behind the 4 spaces, else your bank account will be a-hurtin'.

Moog products plays very very nicely with these and though it will cost you a few bucks to get off the ground, the dotcom modules are very affordable.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:39 pm

I've done it using the Pot Mapping.

The mod buss doesn't consume any pot mappings. They're independent.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Sounds like he wants to use the mod bus AMOUNT pots FOR pot mapping controls but I could be wrong.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 am

The VCA can also be done with Koma Elektronik's RH301, which also gives you MIDI/DIN/analog clock conversion, an extra LFO and a IR motion sensor with CV out. It's a fantastic box!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 am

The deal is that the feature that let's the touch screen remember its values after you remove your hand only stores vales if the mod busses are involved (if I'm not mistaken). I wanted to use my touch pad as an octave transpose button, so to speak.

I know that you can use the +\- buttons as octave transpose, but they are even more out of the way than the TS is...

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:44 am

Use the MF-102 Ring Mod and send the aftertouch to the mix input.

Stephen