Daisy chained voyagers

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
slick

Daisy chained voyagers

Post by slick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:28 pm

I have a new one and love it. Since more is always better, I am wondering if I need another one. So what overall effects result from daisy chaining them (one regular and the other RME) together? Aside from 2 note polyphony, I have a hard time envisioning the potential results and whether they would be worthwhile. Sorry for the newbie question.

MC

Re: Daisy chained voyagers

Post by MC » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 pm

CZ Rider has tried chaining three and found that it doesn't work as advertised.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:08 am

A two voice Voyager worked out really well. Controlling both Voyagers on the same MIDI channel but not sending any Voyager knob info to either unit. The Voyager MIDI knob CC sends are only about 255 steps end to end, while internally the resolution is higher. Very noticable stepping tuning oscillators or a filter sine wave. Not easy to save a patch created on one Voyager linked to another either.
But the two voice configuration where each Voyager used it's own front panel is a nice setup. Can set and save patches where one Voyager is high note priority and the other is low note priority for some ARP Odyssey style duo-phonic playing. While the next patch could be a double layered sound where two seperate patches make up a more complex tone. Very nice!
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:23 am

I'm sure you can put 3 or more into local-only mode then use something like a MidiPal with it's "Dispatch" app to do round robin between the devices. For those not aware, MidiPal was a $79 little box with a midi in and out which has a number of embedded apps build it, runs off 5V power.

I use it to control my MuRF like a Fixed filter bank (8 pots), to act as master clock with a foot switch start/stop, as a Midi scope, or in this case a key assigner.

Of course you won't be able to tweak one Filter Cutoff knob to control all of the Voyager devices unless you can get all to listen for Omni which I do not think is possible (not the mention the issue CZ mentioned above), but for 'simple' Polyphonic playing, it will work.

I had a 3 voice setup between a Little Phatty Tribut, a Taurus III, and an Old School Voyager via MP-201 Midi-CV converter and it worked well; What do these 3 synths have in common you might ask yourself?

Sawtooth wave, about 2 octaves worth of keys, and the 4 pole filter; sounded massive, too massive but it was a fun experiment.

Very interested to see what Moog does next in relation to a 4 voice or possible add-ons to the Sub37. I could be wrong but I do think we'll see something in the next year or so.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

nms

Post by nms » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:03 am

The key to sequencing Voyagers or for controlling two at once is control voltage. If you're trying to automate then you would use Expert Sleepers Silent Way (either with their hardware or any DC coupled interface such as the Motus). For live tweaking/playing you can control the second Voyager using the CV outputs of the first. Of course, if you've only got rack mount voyager's then you'd need the CP expanders.
Voyager RME | Virus Ti2 Polar | Juno 60 | EL8X Distressor | UBK Clariphonic | Lynx Hilo | Motu 828mk2 | Focal Twin6be