Digi002 and Voyager Sysex file transfer

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Dr Dan

Digi002 and Voyager Sysex file transfer

Post by Dr Dan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:07 pm

So, I just got my Minimoog signature edition, and I'm trying to update the software. I am a Mac OSX user.

I seem to have successfully backed up my presents, system and boot files through using a Digi002 and ProTools.

I have followed the instructions for sending Sysex files from ProTools, but the Voyager does not seem to recieve them. I don't get error messages, it just seems like it is waiting.

Anyone else worked through similar challenges that can help me out? All my other synths are lucky to have circuit boards, let alone operating systems, so I am swimming in a totally new world here.

Here are some specific questions:

1. The download packets from Moog contain both .syx and MIDI files. When I go to import a MIDI file to track, I can only choose the MIDI file. This contains the sysex data and is the file that I want right? What is the point of the .syx file?

2. I have some feeling that my challenge has to do with the MIDI Output select. I have tried several routes, and logic tells me that Output 2, channel 1 is what I want to be using. Any ideas?

Any other hints that anyone could give would be greatly appeciated!!

Thanks in advance!
DrDan
Last edited by Dr Dan on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:58 pm

Are you a Mac OSX user?

Is so try http://www.snoize.com/

This software is free and amazing and should help you with upgrading your Voyager software outside of protools.

If you are a wintell user...???

BTW, congratulations on your new snag. The Voyager is a prized possesion that will bring much sonic joy and mangling hehe!

GregAE

Re: Digi002 and Voyager Sysex file transfer

Post by GregAE » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:39 am

Dr Dan wrote: Here are some specific questions:

1. The download packets from Moog contain both .syx and MIDI files. When I go to import a MIDI file to track, I can only choose the MIDI file. This contains the sysex data and is the file that I want right? What is the point of the .syx file?

2. I have some feeling that my challenge has to do with the MIDI Output select. I have tried several routes, and logic tells me that Output 2, channel 1 is what I want to be using. Any ideas?

Any other hints that anyone could give would be greatly appeciated!!

Thanks in advance!
DrDan
Dr. D -

Moog provides both MIDI and SysEx files so that you have several options for updating the software. They are the same files, but in two different formats. It's your choice as to which one works best for your needs.

Like you, I'm a Mac user. I've had good success updating the Voyager with SysEx (.syx) files using a program called SysEx Librarian (freeware), available at www.snoize.com. Use this program instead of ProTools. To insure success, try simplifying your MIDI setup so that the Voyager is the only equipment connected to your MIDI interface.

Good luck!

- Greg

Dr Dan

Post by Dr Dan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:55 pm

Thanks guys!

So I have tried Sysex Libraian, and it is indeed a much easier program. Great tip.
I was again able to back up the preset, system and ROM files in a much clearer way.

I initially had trouble getting it to send a file, as I was with ProTools, but then, after shutting the whole system down, letting it sit for a little and trying it again, the Voyager now recieves the files.

However, while it initially states the transfer was completed, I then get the error message that System Exlcusive Transfer has Failed!!!!! and then something about a ROM checksum error.

I'm getting closer, I can feel it. Any other ideas??

Thanks,
DrDan

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:12 am

It's possible that the transfer rate is a little too fast. Try slowing it down.

In SysEx Librarian, select Preferences in the main menu.

In the Preferences window, increase the value for "Pause between played messages". Close the window and try again.

It's been reported here that for some MIDI interfaces a slower transfer rate can make a big difference when updating the software.

- Greg

Dr Dan

Post by Dr Dan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:24 am

i have cranked the pause time up to 1 sec, and I still get the ROM checksum error message. I'm going ot try a "cheaper" MIDI interface, as other posts on this topic in the forums here have eluded to having more trouble with the higher end gear.

Arrrgh.

WTF?,
Dan

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:57 am

I've used a midisport 2x2 for several years and it has not let me down on any of my synths.

Dr Dan

Post by Dr Dan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 am

Has anyone actually had success using a Digi002 to facilitate this? I know digidesign products can be finiky at times. Is that the actual problem? Some other device is not going to have a transfer speed control, so won't that still put me at the mercy of Sysex Libraian's limited controls?

I don't understand why this is not working, or what could be done differently to make it work.

Dan