Voyager Old School keyboard non-responsive?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
filosofem

Voyager Old School keyboard non-responsive?

Post by filosofem » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:00 am

Hey guys, hoping for an online solution, I have a VOS keyboard not responding to key press nor are the oscillators in an audible range. The OSC's sound similar to just been powered up. If I turn the filter cutoff up full and switch OSC 1 to Octave 1' there is sound but it's not well. Warm up is generally an hour for me and there is no change. Pitch and Mod Wheels are also non-responsive. Any field service solutions?
Aaron Mulqueen: Moog Subsequent 37 - MF 104M

thealien666

Re: Voyager Old School keyboard non-responsive?

Post by thealien666 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 am

You can make sure it's not simply the keyboard scanning circuit connections that came loose by carefully removing the Mod Wheel section and checking the connectors to that board. (Remove the two top front screws and gently lift up and pull towards you. Be careful because of the flat connector for the aftertouch is at an ackward angle and short. Reinstalling is reverse operation, but make sure the top metal panel is inserted back into its slot in the wood in the casing at the top in the back.)

If everything is fine, then it's probably a defective digital keyboard scanning circuit (some of the early Voyagers suffered from that, if I remember right). In any case, I would suggest contacting Moog Music support team about it, they might have encountered the problem on other VOS and know the solution ?

Good luck.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:10 pm

thealien666 wrote:You can make sure it's not simply the keyboard scanning circuit connections that came loose by carefully removing the Mod Wheel section and checking the connectors to that board. (Remove the two top front screws and gently lift up and pull towards you. Be careful because of the flat connector for the aftertouch is at an ackward angle and short. Reinstalling is reverse operation, but make sure the top metal panel is inserted back into its slot in the wood in the casing at the top in the back.)
YOU ARE THE MAN! Bang on, followed your instructions and sure enough the keyboard scanning circuit connector was disconnected. Simply reconnected, powered up and she sung like a bird. Johnny 5 is alive! I do very much appreciate your assistance, thank you.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:34 pm

filosofem wrote:Johnny 5 is alive!
I remember that movie :)

I'm glad Alain could help you out!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:38 pm

GREAT NEWS filosofem ! :D

Glad I could help you out !

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:10 am

That happened to me once as well. I think it is caused by the panel being tilted too far forward. The cable is just long enough to connect the panel to the keyboard/wheels, and so when the panel gets tilted forward, the cable gets quite tense, and can come unplugged quite easily. Good thing it's a simple fix! Pretty sure it was Alain who helped me, too.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:59 am

Yeah, Kenneth is right. That cable is barely long enough and plugged upside down, so it can easily become loose or disconnected. What I had done on mine was to put a dab of hot melt glue on it to hold the connector in place... :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:15 am

What I had been doing was removing it from my studio and putting it under my bed when not solely used. This would have dislodged the connector however there is no difference if this had been 'on the road'. It's surprising the plug doesn't have a little lip to secure it in place.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:19 am

Glue the connector on. I've had mine come loose twice before I secured it with a dab of hot glue.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."