Voyager XL Gate In to MIDI Out Signal Flow

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
nonfingo

Voyager XL Gate In to MIDI Out Signal Flow

Post by nonfingo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:49 pm

First let me say that I love Moog products and Moog users and am overwhelmed with gratitude every time I get to touch these amazing instruments. Last night I was using a TR-606 trigger out > Voyager XL Lag Module > Voyager XL Env Gate to sequence the Voyager XL. Voyager XL Env Gate switch set to External. No problems here triggering the Voyager XL once I use the lag module to stretch out those 606 gates. At the same time I have the Voyager XL MIDI out connected to a Slim Phatty MIDI in. With this config I noticed that when the Voyager XL receives the TR-606 trigger the MIDI indicator on the Slim Phatty display panel lights up though I don't hear any sound.

I wasn't planning on using the Voyager XL as a CV to MIDI converter but it seems like it's certainly capable of doing it. Can someone please explain the CV to MIDI signal flow of the Voyager XL? I know some MIDI is leaving the Voyager XL out as a result of external gate ins and I'd love to be able to use the MIDI messages to play the Slim Phatty. I know I can trigger the Phatty with CV out from the Voyager XL but I'd really like to be able to use MIDI out for polychaining the Slim Phatties (I have 3) and other fun stuff.

Questions:
-Is the Voyager XL Env Gate In to MIDI out signal flow documented anywhere?
-Is the CV to MIDI message mapping configurable?

OS Versions:
Voyager XL 3.6
Slim Phatty 3.21

Edited: Used a MIDI monitor and found that Control 1Hold Pedal messages are being sent by the Voyager XL. Searched again and lead me to a forum thread describing the mapping. http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13723 . I'll experiment with this config today.

Intuitively I don't understand why the Voyager XL sends Note On and Note Off messages when ENV. GATE is set to Keyboard and Control messages when ENV. GATE is set to On/External.

Vsyevolod

Re: Voyager XL Gate In to MIDI Out Signal Flow

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:39 pm

I don't believe that the Voyager XL is converting CV to MIDI, you're just getting a MIDI pass-through from the TR-606.

Not having a TR-606 nor an XL, I can't comment much more.

Stephen

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't think the Voyager XL is capable of MIDI-to-CV conversion. It is certainly doing that internally for its own analog circuitry, but I don't think the resulting pitch CV is available externally ?

(I could be wrong since I don't own a Voyager XL, and the only Voyager I did own in the past was the MIDI-less Old School version.)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

nonfingo

Post by nonfingo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:I don't believe that the Voyager XL is converting CV to MIDI, you're just getting a MIDI pass-through from the TR-606.
To be clear TR-606 trigger out to Voyager XL lag module in is a TRS cable.