Moog knobs

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ikazlar

Moog knobs

Post by ikazlar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:20 am

Can someone please tell me the exact part number of the small knobs on the Voyager (i.e. the ones for the waveform, not the big ones). I'd like to buy some 50+ of those and up till know I have found variations, not the exact type.

If one also knows the type of potensiometer used, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

Vsyevolod

Re: Moog knobs

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Have you contacted Moog? It seems like they would be able to give you the most definitive answer.

Stephen

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:21 pm

No, I haven't, I thought I'd ask here first since they are kinda slow to respond.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:31 am

The Dotcom knobs are the same. (I'm sure, but I'm stuckat a seminar until late Sunday to be certain)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

MC

Post by MC » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:05 pm

Those knobs are made by Cosmo. They are very hard to find in low quantity, like less than 10,000. Yes Dotcom modulars use the same knobs.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:09 am

I would order from Moog if exact replacements are needed. These really vary in quality depending on the vendor. Pretty sure all those new Moogs use D type shafts while Dotcom used solid shafts.
Here are three similar looking knobs. First the old Minimoog type. These are quality made in USA and have brass inserts for the shaft and set screw. Next the type from a Dotcom modular. Solid plastic with no insert. These type can split if the set screw is tightened with too much force. (cheap) Then the Moog Voyager type. (This is one of the non-skirted type. Several types used on Voyager) Hollow plastic with a friction fit D shaft. These have a black metal friction insert. (cheapest)
I only use those original type with the brass insert. You get what you pay for usually.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 am

Hi,

thanks a lot for the replies. I am basically looking for knobs to replace the ones in the Challenger. The ones in the Challenger and the ones in the Voyager have the same diameter and the same height but the Voyager's potentionmeters (and knobs) are D-shaft while the ones in the Challenger are O-shaft. So I sent it to an engineer to change the pots and we are trying to find which knobs which suit better ergonomically with the new pots and also look better.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:28 am

Dotcom sells 1" knobs for $4 each (too much IMHO). Look under their 'parts' page.

Small bear sells this for $1.20 (not sure of size except for "large") contact them: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=739

Then there is this (no skirt so only single dot): http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1193

And this (3/4 with two dots): http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1194

The Smallbear knobs are likely the cheap-o (get what you pay for as CZ said); the alternatively which I've used on DIY modules are the Radio Shack (MOTM line style) which are like four for $4-$5 AND have brass inserts.

EDIT: Also, if you are UK, Ben @ RE:Synthesis: http://www.bigbluewave.co.uk/resynthesi ... le%20Knobs
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks for the links, I appreciate it!