@RL: Could an OS upgrade make the Voyager paraphonic?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
slirak

@RL: Could an OS upgrade make the Voyager paraphonic?

Post by slirak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:43 am

Watching the demo of the new Sub 37 - wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4xntZbdW0

I'm not a huge fan of the kind of surgical precision of the Sub's sound, but some of those features seem great. And what really makes me envious is its paraphony.

Sooo, my immediate thought was - could the analogue hardware and the micro controller of the Voyager handle paraphony, with a new OS? Or are there any limitations that makes that impossible? That would be just soooo awesome...! 8)

MC

Re: @RL: Could an OS upgrade make the Voyager paraphonic?

Post by MC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am

I've seen the schematics for the Voyager. Due to hardware design the Voyager can't be paraphonic. OS upgrade cannot change that.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

slirak

Post by slirak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:04 am

The oscillators share a single CV bus I suspect?
Ah, well, maybe in Voyager MKII. ;)

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 pm

I'm hoping that the next innovations from Moog make the Voyager obsolete...

:)

Stephen

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 am

this has been something I have been thinking about. unfortunately I don't have the resourc es to test it yet.

set the mod buss 1 destination to osc 2 and source to on. and set mod buss 2 destination to osc 3 and source to on

use a keyboard with multiple cv outs like the one from COTK or a midi/cv converter with multiple cv outs like the one from grove audio.

send cv1 out to the pitch in on voyager, cv2 out to mod buss 1 in and cv 3 out to mod buss 2 in. then gate one to the voyager gate inputs.

this will probably take some scaling or quantization, but Ithink this could work
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:06 pm

Since Voyager stores the frequency offset of OSC2 and OSC3 with the patch, can't it dynamically change this voltage provided that the interval is not beyond the frequency reach in either direction? And since the keyboard scanning for poly already takes place (in use case of using it for Midi controller), what else is needed?

Obviously, this would only serve for one handed chords, not for a situation where you might drone a bass note and play a 2nd or two additional notes further up the keyboard... so 7 steps or limited to a major triad range. Not ideal but would be an interesting experiment at least for demo purposes.

If you really wanted to put on your mad scientist cap, you could tweak some internal tuning for bigger range, I would think! But who would relish an added mode where you could play limited two note para or major, minor, diminished triads. (no augmented triads allowed : )

Could be a CPU/horsepower issue and latency but considering the speed at which you can scroll through patches and have the sound (and differing intervals not to mention 20 other settings loaded and applied) replace the current patch, it would seem worth a try?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

till

Post by till » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:28 pm

I don't think this is possible that easy.
But you may try tuning the oscillators #2 and #3 on the fly via MIDI CC to get three voice paraphonic results.

Or just use some other keyboard and pass it through the Voyagers audio in an trigger the Voyager via the MIDI output of this polyphonic synth. This will give you a paraphonic keyboard with a Moog filter.

But I prefer poly synth. Maybe this is why there were not paraphonic synth available in the last 30 years. This is just some hype that started a few months ago when Waldorf showed their Pulse2 with its paraphonic modes.

Don't get me wrong, the Sub37 and the Pulse2 are fine synths, but I just don't care about paraphonic modes.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MC

Post by MC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 pm

till wrote:But I prefer poly synth. Maybe this is why there were not paraphonic synth available in the last 30 years. This is just some hype that started a few months ago when Waldorf showed their Pulse2 with its paraphonic modes.

Don't get me wrong, the Sub37 and the Pulse2 are fine synths, but I just don't care about paraphonic modes.
Same here. Gave up paraphonic decades ago.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:26 am

It would absolutely be possible, I think. There's an iPad app called patch morphed that can make your voyager para. I don't get home to my voyager for five more months to test it, but there's a YouTube video of it working. Not sure how smooth it is. Anxious to try it.

SonicVI

Post by SonicVI » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:30 am

Could this be done with the Voyager?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jglbXy2tN20

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10 am

slirak wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the kind of surgical precision of the Sub 37's sound, but some of those features seem great.
Hi slirak,

A LOT of additional features and improvements have been added to the Sub 37 since that Jan 2014 video.

Check out some of the more recently available sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXESToG4p8

As to the surgical precision, the very next Sub 37 OS will have a VARIANCE parameter that allows you to introduce varying degrees of pitch imprecision. I've been beta testing it and I really like it.

(I'm just trying to tempt you even more to add a Sub 37 to your arsenal;-)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:29 am

Yo Demon Dan the Man, any idea when that OS is due for release? Also, any idea when the editor is due for release?

A sub 37 really is calling my name...

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 am

midilifestyle wrote:Yo Demon Dan the Man, any idea when that OS is due for release?
Also, any idea when the editor is due for release? A Sub 37 really is calling my name...
The OS is due very soon and will please a great many Sub 37 owners in lots of different ways.

I'm not in the loop about the editor so, no idea.

My question is:
"Why wait for either? The Sub 37 is a complete joy to own right now, and will get even better over time.

The forthcoming Sub 37 Updater app makes updating a no-brainer, so there's nothing to be gained by waiting for a Sub 37 with the new OS already installed.

Just get it. I triple dog dare ya.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 pm

midilifestyle wrote:A sub 37 really is calling my name...
_DemonDan_ wrote:Just get it. I triple dog dare ya.
Just remember that, even though the Sub 37 is indeed a fantastic value, _DemonDan_ is also a salesman at Sweetwater and might be a little biased... :lol: :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:09 pm

thealien666 wrote:Just remember that, even though the Sub 37 is indeed a fantastic value, _DemonDan_ is also a salesman at Sweetwater and might be a little biased.
Hi thealien666,

I'm actually not in sales at all and make no commissions whatsoever on sales.

I try to be very careful to say "Just get it", as opposed to "Just get it at Sweetwater."

Those who read a lot of my posts know that I am not afraid to say what I do or don't like about something. And I certainly will not hold back my praise for something just because we don't carry it (rhymes with Try Mon, sigh...)

I'm on the Moog Forum simply because of my love for their gear and respect for the diverse forum members. I've been playing with Moogs since 1977, and have met with Dr. Moog twice, and it's a source of pride that, all these decades later, I'm actually able to help and participate with the process.