Stuck sound When plugging Phones

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
axser

Stuck sound When plugging Phones

Post by axser » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Hello,

Really looking for some help from someone more experienced. I just made an old dream come true and I'm working so that it doesn't become a nightmare. Won an auction on Ebay for a Voyager BE edition, got the Moog today. The package was 100% well done, equipment is in 100% aesthetic condition.

I was super excited but when I connected it and plugged the phones, the sound was like a key was with and endless release (or on hold) and the headphones volume wasn't working. Got scared. Unplugged headphones and hurried up to get it connected on my mixer. Everything was ok, had fun for a little while but then realized that the left (mono) channel works fine but right channel is with like 20% volume. Changed cables to sort it out, same thing L:100% R:20%. Plus: MASTER VOLUME knob does not work at all. Tried to connect phones again to check stereo problem, same error than before and it happens also on speakers, now that they are connect. Volume for headphones or master still not working.

Started trying to imagine what could be wrong and tried plugging headphones on ins/outs to check if anything happened. When connected phones on Mixer Out/Filter In, same problem, or even weirder: You press the keyboard, sometimes it plays sometimes it does not. Fact: If I Plug a jack 3,5 to 6,5 adaptor nothing happens, just when I click in the headphones the problem starts. Tried different headphones. Same thing.

Only thing I changed was power cable since the one that came had 3 pins and I've changed for a local 2 pin+earth, same voltage, same amp. I don't feel like I might have done an error with anything else but...

I might even consider the buy ok if it was just the phones were not working and master stereo was OK but like this, it doesn't suit me. I need a solution or I have to return it while ebay coverage is active, wich is killing me because it is an incredible machine even limp...

Would really appreciate some input on what this could be.

Thanks in advance.

unfiltered37

Re: Stuck sound When plugging Phones

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:58 pm

not sure what the problem is with the headphones, but connecting to the mixer/filter jack will probably not do anything, as this is not powerful enough to drive headphones, and it is an input and output in one jack. The R/L issue could be a spacing issue. Mess with the spacing knob and the LPHP/ dual lowpass switch. If it is on hp/lp of course the outputs will be at different levels. If on dual lowpass, and the spacing control is implemented, then there will also be a level difference.

Master volume not working is strange. Maybe try reinstalling the OS or something, but that could be bad.

There could be something wrong with it, but if you just got it, user error is the most probable circumstance, it happens to everyone.

axser

Post by axser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:12 pm

Hello unfiltered37,

Thanks for your reply.

About the R/L channel I'll check the parameters you refer, to see if it changes the situation.

About the phones and mixer I'm uploading a couple of videos since this is very very strange. I'll post them as soon as they are up.

After some full range tests with Master volume i notice it muffles the sound but llike in 10%. I have also on Video.Phones volume does the same thing.

Will check how to update software also but sellers says it worked perfectly... Two years ago, when he last played it... I'll leave it connected one night to, maybe some humidity crawling in.

I'll get back with the videos.

axser

Post by axser » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your thoughts unfiltered37.

I taped a few videos to exactly show what is the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2np99uMhmxI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxyNHZe3T7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8iDUXc5QTs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7zSRzh8UU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy6mipSp9X8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n55YVKFs6zU

Testing the machine I've realized what happens: When I connect the headphones he does the same thing has if I pressed ENV. GATE, switching from KEYBOARD to ON EXTERNAL and holds one key. The key held is A or the latest I've pressed. Weird enough, if I disconnect the headphone speaker, the interference stops (videos).

Also, here is an image of the channels volume diference:

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:12 am

Hi Axser, welcome to the forum.

You definitely should contact the Mog tech support. I wish everything will be back to normal soon!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:05 pm

That is some weird behavior. The only thing I could guess is that it is a weird pot mapping thing, so maybe try to reinstall the software. Contact moog quickly and if they can't fix it over the phone or email, send it back as soon as you can. I would send links to those videos to who you bought it from, so ebay has them on record. They are suspicious of buyers remorse, so they will check the communications between you and the seller if there is a dispute, so I would contact the seller immediately.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Hey guys.

I woudn't re-install the OS because I don't think this is pot mapping trying to make humor.
Is there any pot mapping involving the headphones jack? I don't think so.

My guess is the shipping got her a bit shaken and some bad contacts are occuring.

Mine would do something similar by the time I bought it, just as another member's. I guess -and wish- it comes back to normal after a while: this is what happened here.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Yes, I also suspect loose wire harness/connector. I would open it and check that first.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

axser

Post by axser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Hello All,

First up, thanks to all for your thoughts.

Personally, although this is my first Moog, I'm more inclined to transport and non-usage issues. The seller replied that the machine wasn't used for two years and that, at the time, it was 100% functional. I've asked it was tested it before shipping but I guess it was not. That long stored + 3500km ride is a good reason for problems.

There is a new bug that strengthens this thought: The front lights are going on and off without a reason or pattern. here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEBambcfBs

I'd say that there is something on the volume rack, where the headphones and volumes are, that is messing with the other parts. I'm really scared of opening it but has I live in the Azores islands, tech support is out of the question so it is either return it, keep it like this or take chances on trying to fix it myself. Prior to sellers instructions I don't want to go into "surgery" so that I don't throw away the chance of returning.

Fact is that I'm in love with it. The heart functions and between each error test, to play with that beast... uhhh it is something of another world. No lights, no headphones, no master volume but the sound is all there... Let us see what the seller has to say. I'll keep info updated on the post and request your help.

One question: Can anybody tell me if when you press the ON/EXTERNAL if the function is correct? It holds the key? Is that function working properly in my videos, when I have the phones unplugged? I want to know if with headphones off it is fully functional.

axser

Post by axser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Update:

Got my answer: ON/EXTERNAL Holds the key. This is where the jack makes the mess when plugged in! It's like when I plug the headphones it turns that switch on. Oddly, if you turn off the right headphone (the only one where the sound comes out from) it stops, so it's not the adapter, it's not the wire, it's some kind of magnetic thing, from the headphone speaker, that fires up this error. Tried it with different headphones. Same problem.

Also got to know that knob near keyboard dims lights. Tried moving it around. No lights / No luck. Leaving it on for the night to see if it burns any moisture that might have.

Frustrating...

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Listen, unplug it from the wall and open the back panel (put something under the bottom of the panel first, like a book or something, to keep it straight while you open the back), there are 5 screws with #2 Phillips heads to remove and that's it. There's nothing to be scared of, even if you don't know a thing about electronics.
That way you'll be able to visually inspect the wire harnesses and check that they're not loose or about to get loose. Make sure that everything is seated properly, and nothing is loose inside.
After that, if everything checks out, close it up again and plug it back in and check for proper operation. If not fixed, you can always email Moog Music service department for advice, they're very friendly and passionate about what they do.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Always beware of that "I haven't used it in years, but it was full working last time I used it". That is a common scheme on ebay. I mean how difficult is it to plug it in and test it.

axser

Post by axser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello All,

Opened it and checked everything inch by inch. Followed the jack patch, check every connector and everything seems new, legit and ok...

Can't reach the volumes (front panel) nor light dimmer (or any other wires identified has light) so no luck on that also...

Back to square one. Sent an email to MOOG to see if I they have another perspective... Shooting my last rounds with it. :( :( :(

timmeahh

Post by timmeahh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:14 am

There is a new bug that strengthens this thought: The front lights are going on and off without a reason or pattern. here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEBambcfBs
I have a similar situation, although the rate at which the lights go on and off is not as constant as in you video. The backlight works for maybe 3 - 5 mins for every hour it is switched on.