Why so many dead OSCs?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
modoc_333

Why so many dead OSCs?

Post by modoc_333 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 am

It just seems that lately there are a ton of posts about dead OSCs in Voyagers. I don't see this in the other forums. Any ideas as to why this is?
-Keith

Guitars at Bailey Brothers Music... Birmingham, AL

weemac

Re: Why so many dead OSCs?

Post by weemac » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:07 am

It is worrying isn't it.
I'm expecting the return of my Voyager from the repair shop that I had less than a day with filter problems.. It was brand new...
I hope it is only teething issues...

Eden.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 am

modoc_333 wrote:Any ideas as to why this is?
Impermanence.

Seriously, you are bound to get more people posting here about issues than people posting about everything being fine with their instrument !
There do seem to be issues with some Voyagers when they are new-ish. I had a couple of problem with mine when it was just over a year old. Since then though - touch wood - all is fine.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Lately, I've had absolutely no problems with my Voyager. In fact, the entire time I've had it, I've had absolutely no problems.

Can't we get everyone who has no problems to post here?

Wait, there was that one time when I was trying to do a Keith Emerson solo and the dang thing sounded like crap. Then I figured out it was just the player...

Stephen

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:51 pm

You need a Korg to play that solo... :twisted:

http://soundcloud.com/thealien666/lucky ... r-by-alain
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:08 pm

osc 2 died on mine....im waiting for my RMA# now.....
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

modoc_333

Post by modoc_333 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:18 am

some of you pointed out things that missed a key part of my post..... I am NOT seeing as many problems associated with the other Moog products. Sure, people will post when it breaks, and play it when it works.... but why is the balance leaned toward Voyagers? Why not the same number of problem threads with Sub, Slim, and Little? or theremin or Moogerfoogers? or the other products? I expect to read about problems on a forum like this. It just seems that most of the dead OSC problems are associated with the Voyager and not the other products.
-Keith

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:41 am

Only Andy from customer support could maybe shed some light on this ? Are there more Voyager defective than other models, proportionnally to the number of units sold of each ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:19 am

Here
Vsyevolod wrote: Can't we get everyone who has no problems to post here?
I've though of doing this for years now, here it is :)

modoc_333

Post by modoc_333 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:10 am

thealien666 wrote:Only Andy from customer support could maybe shed some light on this ? Are there more Voyager defective than other models, proportionnally to the number of units sold of each ?

THIS is what I would like to know.
-Keith

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:53 pm

weemac wrote: I'm expecting the return of my Voyager from the repair shop that I had less than a day with filter problems.. It was brand new...
Any updates on your Voyager?

I bought mine used, then sent it to Moog Music for hardware upgrades (increased preset memory, aftertouch upgrade). No problems on mine.

JamesGibbs

Post by JamesGibbs » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Its all very well posting about how well your voyager maybe working, however, this doesn't help those of us who have lucked out and ended up with a lemon, or one that needs a few visits to the synth Dr, before we can enjoy hours of playing and creating with our beloved instruments.
People pay good money for Moog products, even second hand ones, expecting quality, therefore if the trend is towards more problems coming about with Minimoog Voyager and XL synthesizers, then Moog music needs to sit up, take note and steps towards fixing this.

I live in one of the highest average income earning states in the world and yet the nearest Moog authorised repairer/ sales company is 2000 miles away on the other side of Australia! Try that for frustrating when your Minimoog Voyager is playing up.

Luckily Andy from Moog, was nice enough to help my local, very experienced synth repairer, with tips on how to fix my recently failed oscillator number 1.
Unfortunately, it started to have LFO 1 and filter envelope problems, since. First of all it all worked intermittently, now these problems are permanent.
Moog PLEASE authorise Grant at EAV in Western Australia or at least someone, other than Audio Chocolate on the east coast. Its absolutely ridiculous, expecting Moog customers in my state to ship your products 2000 miles, each way, for repairs.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:48 pm

James, I don't want to start a crusade here but I tend to disagree on one point.
Speaking of one's well behaving Voyager is not helping the unlucky mate, true. But hey, forums are not only about helping each others, it's about sharing. Joys as weel as pains. Excitation as well as frustration.

About support: if Moog has some problems with their products quality, I doubt the forum are the only medium for them to know (I'm thinking about mail and phone here). Let's enjoy what is working well too :)

Anyway. I think this might not have been directed to me personally but I'm the one who started the "my Voyager has no problem thread", so... :) I think positive attitudes call more positive attitudes, in general. I just wanted to add a small stone to this road.
Just in case, if I appeared to be not giving a shmutz about the community, I sincerely apologize, this was far to be intended. I care and help as often as I reasonably can, and you've just found a whole bunch of Moogers here who certainly will do even more :)

I hope your Voyager will be top-healthy forever now, moogmate!!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:11 pm

JamesGibbs wrote:Its all very well posting about how well your voyager maybe working
Is the above statement directed towards me? If so, try rereading the OP's posts. He seems to think most Voyagers are made defective - or at least that is the tone he has taken. That is why I said my Voyager works.

I wish you luck in getting your Voyager repaired. Please don't take your frustration out on me, stiiive, or your other fellow forum members. I agree with stiive, we should be here to support each other.

weemac

Post by weemac » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:17 am

GovernorSilver wrote:
weemac wrote: I'm expecting the return of my Voyager from the repair shop that I had less than a day with filter problems.. It was brand new...
Any updates on your Voyager?

I bought mine used, then sent it to Moog Music for hardware upgrades (increased preset memory, aftertouch upgrade). No problems on mine.
Mine is working fine now, as it was sorted under warranty...

Eden.