Rack mount ..... Fill a hole?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Strawberry_Moose

Rack mount ..... Fill a hole?

Post by Strawberry_Moose » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi all
I have a voyager rme, a cp251, vx351 & vx352.
I also have the 6u mounting bracket (for want of a better phrase)

Obviously, the cp and 2 vx units leave a space (3u half width).....any suggestions for filling it?

A cv sequencer, other fx unit?

Ideally I'd like a sequencer with cv out....

Finding it difficult to find things that fit.

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance

DonutDude

Re: Rack mount ..... Fill a hole?

Post by DonutDude » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Technosaurus makes, or at least used to make, units that would probably fit. The Cyclodon sequencer and the Effexon Multi-effect processor. I believe they are both 8" wide by 4" tall by 2" deep. You would have space above the unit and on one side but cable connections are on the side so you would need some space there for right angled cables. CV control and all analog. I have their Microcon II synth, which would be another option since all three are the same size. Check their website for more info: " http://www.technosaurus.ch/

Strawberry_Moose

Post by Strawberry_Moose » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a quick look at their website and it looks interesting, although ordering looks a little complicated.

I'm surprised moog don't do a product to fill the hole.
I guess they haven't thought about rack lovers, the focus is def on the keyboard.

Thanks again

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Technosaurus may be hard to come by these days. I bought my Microcon II some years ago from bigcitymusic.com but I don't think they carry Technosaurus anymore. You may have to order direct from Switzerland or wait until one comes up on ebay.

Another option I've seen is using two CP-251s to fill the slot. Doesn't appeal to me, but I've seen others do it. Vermona also makes some small reverb and mono-synth units but I am pretty sure they are too big to fit. Maybe there are some guitar "stomp box" pedals out there that you could use to fill the hole.

Is eurorack modular stuff too big? Mount them sideways? Okay, I think I've run out of ideas. :)

Let us know if you come up with a solution.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Years ago I proposed Moog make a combo of Mixer VCA Envgens and Envelope Follower to solve your exact predicament.

I still wish they would make one and if they make another CP unit I'll probably buy it. The minitaur I think will fit in a rack, but it won't look right. The Dark Time sequencer is the closest thing to what you are looking for but a second CP-251 never hurts if you have a lot of other cv gear to go with it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Very nice EricK! Maybe someone from Moog will see your design here.

I've also written to Moog about releasing a self-contained mini modular. Something similar to the Pittsburgh Modular Cell-48. A small tabletop unit with some internal patching as well as external patching capability for around 500 to 700 US dollars. They could call it the "Moog Mini-Mod".

Mike, Cyril, Steve, Amos ... are you guys reading this?

johnxjay

Post by johnxjay » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:10 pm

ive had same issue.. why would they make that rack without filling it up? I guess once its racked, its hard for stuff to get inside? other than dust of course.