Voyager Calibration??? HELP

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
archer

Voyager Calibration??? HELP

Post by archer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Hello all,

Just thoroughly testing my newly acquired Voyager...but I noticed a few things that may or may not require a calibration...

1. My oscillators seem to be a two whole octaves below what they should be at any given time. When I have it set to 16 feet, it is lower than usual...and 32 feet almost sounds like an LFO. Why is this? I referred to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtHJ7UqDRJM. Around the 40 second mark, he goes through the octave range....my oscillators are literally two octaves lower than any setting he has, even if the switches are in the same position.

Is there something in the digital menus that does this? All three of my oscillators are doing this, and they all track correctly so this might be user error. I'm operating from the front panel and not from presets, but I'm new to the whole digital aspect of this since I used to own a old school model.

2. When I do Osc 1-2 sync, the 2nd oscillator automatically goes one octave higher. I don't remember it doing that on my last voyager.

thealien666

Re: Voyager Calibration??? HELP

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:13 pm

One question, if you move the pitch bend wheel, do they come back to the right pitch ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

archer

Post by archer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Yes, pitch seems to be working just fine.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:24 pm

archer wrote:Is there something in the digital menus that does this? All three of my oscillators are doing this, and they all track correctly so this might be user error.
Yes, there is an octave transpose, and I believe it may be saved during power down. Double pressing the edit menu button brings up the octave transpose. Sounds like yours is set to minus 2 octaves. Could try that?
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

archer

Post by archer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Thank you CZ Raider, that's exactly what the issue was. All fixed!

Do you know about the 1-2 sync making my 2nd oscillator one octave higher?

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:54 pm

archer wrote:Do you know about the 1-2 sync making my 2nd oscillator one octave higher?
Not sure? The sync 1-2 will sync the second oscillator to the first oscillator. So depending on the settings, if the first oscillator is an octave above the second, it could have that effect. Try experimenting with lowering the first oscillator range to see if that is what is happening. The Voyager can be a bit confusing in that the panel settings may not be the patch settings you are playing. And while the first oscillator panel setting may be 8', the preset patch could be any value.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,

archer

Post by archer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:07 pm

I just have the front panel activated, which supposedly means the Voyagers operating just from the actual positions of the knobs/switches. Apparently, this wasn't true in terms of the octave transpose, but hopefully there's nothing wrong with my 1-2 sync function.

I have both oscillators tuned the exact same on the same octave, but no matter when I press the 1-2 sync, the 2nd oscillator goes exactly 1 octave higher. If you know a menu shortcut that overcomes this setting (if it is a setting), then I would be forever grateful for it.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:40 am

Just tried the sync switch on a pair of Voyager RME's here. Never really noticed before as you have to turn off the other oscillators to hear it. Tough to tell if the oscillator is jumping octaves, or just the loosing the lower harmonics. Almost sounds similar to jumping several octaves at various settings. A strange effect and only noticable when isolating just the second oscillator. I guess this is the normal sync effect of the Voyager oscillators? Not much in the manual about the range of the second slave oscillator range changing, but seems there is some kind of octave/range shift.

So...for curiosities sake, I tried the same thing with a vintage Prodigy and Rogue. Listening to both synthesizers with only the second synced oscillator, both vintage synced oscillators seem to stay at the same octave with sync engaged. At high settings both lost all bass, but at regular settings both synced oscillators growled.