Making ARP and MS20 sounds

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
groovecake

Making ARP and MS20 sounds

Post by groovecake » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:52 pm

I read the review in Sound on Sound and it refers to how well the Voyager can do ARP and MS20 sounds.

I have little experience with either of these pieces, so can anyone recommend some tips on getting these particular sounds out of the Voyager?

Thanks!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:59 pm

I've tried to get some ARP type sounds out of my Voyager. I don't own an ARP, so I just go by known recordings. I love the ARP sound, even though it is much thinner then the Moog. Try using the LP/HP filter mode with a wide spacing, only 2 Oscs and some snappy filter attacks.

monads

Post by monads » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:22 pm

I have an Odyssey and the filter settings don't sound as fat per say as on a Voyager. I haven't really tried to get Arp sounds out of my Voyager, but I'd start with the Pole settings, putting them at 2. If you want instant Arp sounds then look at the Cwejman S1 MK2 :D

peter ripa

Post by peter ripa » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:00 am

it can do 12db-filter sounds but it cannot do ms20 sounds. the character of the filter is different especially with some resonance. the ms20 has tvo resonant filters and even with filters fully open the oscs sound different
www.peterripa.com
http://www.peterripa.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=musik

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:23 am

I'd agree that recreating key ms-20 sounds is nearly impossible on the voyager. As peter says, the resonance is totally different: the voyager just doesn't squeal, roar and cough enough (sorry for the use of such abstruse technical terms here ;). However, a very good way to get ms-20ish sounds out of a voyager (for not a lot of cash) is the frostwave resonator.