minimoog vs similar synths (roland system 100 in particular)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
godzilla

minimoog vs similar synths (roland system 100 in particular)

Post by godzilla » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:16 am

that's the voyager or model D vs the semi modular system 100, not the modular 100m.
just wondering what poeple who have used both can say about them?
these are the two synths that i would be interested in trying to save up for/find.
Also any other synths with similar features (high range, multi VCO, monosynth), how do they compare?

monads

Post by monads » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:20 pm

I wonder what a 100 in mint would go for?

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:51 am

monads wrote:I wonder what a 100 in mint would go for?
I think it would depend on the country. Surely Europe would be more expensive than Australia. Also you don't see all 5 pieces (assume the 2 speakers = 1 piece) being sold at once very often, though I've seen it happen. Let's say you are rich and for whatever reason you have to have one in a week, in that case you would be spending many times more money then if you are patient and buy a piece at a time over what might turn out to be many years or many times longer if you insist on mint (unless you just happen to be lucky)

Okay we are all talking about all 5 pieces of a System 100, right? not just the keyboard piece (System 100 model 101). Okay I have a Voyager, a model 101 and a Model 102 (the keyboardless synth) - I don't have the sequencer, mixer and speaker parts. Also, I've played but don't own a Minimoog.

It really does come down to the features and the Moog sound.

Mini
+ features:
The classic Moog sound, very straightforward architecture. A certain power and misbehavior to the sound.
- features:
Can cost money to maintain. Different units sound quite different. Not many features. No patch memory. No second filter, osc sync or ring modulator. Third osc must double as an LFO. Limited modulation. Ring Modulator and MIDI sold separate.

Voyager
+ features
A classic Moog sound & a wider variety of sounds, memories, midi, warranty, quite a few patch points though not as many as a higher end modular. Voltage controlled highpass filter, 3 OSCs and an LFO. MIDI and control of parameters with MIDI.
- features
none really unless you are expecting it to be something it really isn't (like a minimoog or full blown modular). Ring Modulator sold separate.

System 100
+ features
Sequencer, ring modulator, osc sync, patch points. 2 LFOs,
- features
no third osc, no Voltage control on the highpass filters, no mod wheels, sounds great but doesn't have the commanding lead power of a Moog. No patch memory