midi velocity bug

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
M-Prod

midi velocity bug

Post by M-Prod » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:54 am

Has anyone had any succes in sending midi velocity info to the Voyager. I had a hit miss relation with it.
I set mod to on, filter and velocity and turn up the amount. The keyboard responds fine, but midi velocity is not received.

i contected support and they responded:

I did a bit of testing and appears that you are correct, that is a bug in the firmware of the Voyager. The engineers were aware of it and say that it will be addressed in the next version of the OS.

Now 3.5 is over 2 years old (3?) and this seems like a pretty basic functionality to me.

The funny thing is i had it working at one stage. Could anyone help me out. Is this just missing or is there a workaround (without using CV)?

thanks

M-Prod

Re: midi velocity bug

Post by M-Prod » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:45 am

Wow, strange i didn' find this sooner:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -only.html

says:

"I thought I would post this here because it was causing me a quite a bit of frustration until I discovered a work around, and I did not find any mention of this anywhere on the net. I'm really surprised no one has brought it up before.

Apparently there is an OS bug that prevents midi velocity from being received by the Voyager unless you are in keyboard mode "last key" or "1 key only." It will not work with "lower key" and "higher key."

I contacted customer service and they confirmed the bug..."

I tested it and it works

RL

Post by RL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:52 am

Hi M-Prod,
if you need a fix please write me an email: rudi at moogmusic dot de
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

sashimi-eater

Post by sashimi-eater » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Holy smokes!! Changing to 'Last Key' just saved me from pulling all my hair out! :D

Dear Moog, please update the OS asap to correct this and any other gotcha's out there. :wink:

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:33 pm

+1
thanks for discovering and publishing

Cej

Post by Cej » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:58 am

This has had me scratching my head many times... and still is...

I just tried this on my rme voyager as suggested 'last key' and '1st key only' and it still won't received midi velocity from either a midi keyboard or sequencer :?

Anyone have another solution?

till

Post by till » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:55 pm

Cej wrote:... I just tried this on my rme voyager as suggested 'last key' and '1st key only' and it still won't received midi velocity from either a midi keyboard or sequencer :?
And you did set some modulation to actually change something in the sound by velocity? As Velocity is not routed to change the sound by default.
I ask this, because some people forgot about this absolutely needed point.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MC

Post by MC » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 pm

I've sent MIDI Velocity to the Voyager and it works fine, using OS v3.5
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Cej

Post by Cej » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:44 am

thanks for the reply @till and @MC
till wrote:
Cej wrote:... I just tried this on my rme voyager as suggested 'last key' and '1st key only' and it still won't received midi velocity from either a midi keyboard or sequencer :?
And you did set some modulation to actually change something in the sound by velocity? As Velocity is not routed to change the sound by default.
I ask this, because some people forgot about this absolutely needed point.
MC wrote:I've sent MIDI Velocity to the Voyager and it works fine, using OS v3.5
MIDI modulation velocity via MW/P busses using SOURCE/DESTINATION/SHAPING - then AMOUNT is totally doable... and achieves astonishing results :D :D :D

--

I was trying a more simpler effect of a sequencers MIDI - step Note and step velocity within a a rhythmic sequence or the likes played via a MIDI piano keyboard....

Page 37 of the Voyagers User's Manual:
The Voyager has a 44-note keyboard (3 1⁄2 octaves, F to C), just like the original Minimoog. Unlike the original, however, the Voyager has an octave transpose feature (accessed by dou- ble-pressing the EDIT button) giving it a playable range of 7 1⁄2 octaves. Also, the Voyager’s keyboard transmits MIDI Note On and Note Off messages polyphonically, and produces velocity control and aftertouch (pressure) voltages monophonically.
To the left of the keyboard is the Left Hand Controller Panel, which contains the Pitch Bend and Mod Wheel performance controls, and the Glide and Release switches.

I use other (older...) mono/analog synths and they're all only MIDI note on/off too,....

just wondering if I was missing something???....

Thanks in advance!