Voyager????

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
lordzool

Voyager????

Post by lordzool » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:30 pm

ok im think of getting one but i have to ask

i have a Doepfer rack now i was wondering useing the expander unit for the moog could i combine the two

and would you deem it worth the money ok thanks

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:55 pm

The VX-351 is an essential addition to the Voyager for anyone who wants to interface the Voyager to other CV gear, IMO. Without it, you can only minimally I/F to the Voyager through the CV jacks on the back panel.

Is the VX-351 worth the extra money? It was to me. I use the VX-351 to I/F to an Electrix Filter Factory (FF), a multi-mode filter with CV inputs. I use the Voyager's Filter Envelope, LFO and other CV's for modulation to the FF. This would not be possible without the VX-351.

Since you already have a Doepfer rack, a Voyager w/VX-351 would be a very nice addition to your setup and present you with some cool I/F options! :)

BTW, if your question was about whether or not the Voyager is worth the money, again, I think so. There really is nothing else like it. However, everyone has a different opinion. Check out this thread for other's thoughts on the Voyager's value:

http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1762

You can also access links to Voyager reviews here:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sq ... 125271868/

- Greg

lordzool

Post by lordzool » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:45 pm

ok well i was wondering does the moog Voyager break down at all

and how much of it is based off the software by this i mean is the software involed in the produceing of noise or is it just a way to combine the noises made by the moog

punkdisco

Post by punkdisco » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:41 am

"ok well i was wondering does the moog Voyager break down at all"

The Voyager is very well engineered and has very good reliability.

"and how much of it is based off the software by this i mean is the software involved in the producing of noise or is it just a way to combine the noises made by the moog"

There is no software involved in making the sound. Fully analogue with digital control. Even the LFO and Envelopes are analogue - these are often the first thing to 'digitised' for simplicity/cost cutting when designing new analogue synths.

Regarding 'is it worth it'. I would be a little more pessimistic then Greg. If you gave 100 synth people a Voyager for one year and then asked them 'is it worth the money' I am sure you would get lots of 'No' answers, maybe well of 50% of them. None would deny its ability etc. Lets face it, for the price a teenage bedroom muso could get XXX, a guitarist come synth muso could get YYY, a freelance pro media muso could get ZZZ, etc etc. All of these things giving them far more for their money than a Voyager.

However, then you have the rest of us who believe the price is easily justified on account of the sound, the interface, the heritage, the engineering, the fact that it is a true musical instrument.

If you click with the Voyager and consider it to be a synth-for-life then the price is worth it..

Let us know what you decide.

PS: Yep, you WILL need the VX-351 if you want to get the most out the Voyager and your Doepfer setup..
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:58 am

Rent the MOOG movie.
It made me feel real real proud to be a Voyager owner, for many many reasons...

Also, the Voy is a real character! Its got personality man!! The only instruments I've played and felt the personality of it are: my Dean Fretless bass, Moog Voyager, EMU SP1200, American Strat std...the Roland Jazz Chorus Amp, '69 Fender Twin Vibro Lux...

basically, out of a pool of 5,000 pieces of gear, you're gonna have about 300 with some real sonic flair, character that lets you see deeper into the music...

Its like having a martial arts teacher who's a real rascal, a real character...you're gonna learn to see whatever you're studying through the filter of that persona...
The Moog Voyager is like that, man...I swear... Its a bad ass mutha...and if you can't appreciate everything that's gone into it, as well as comin out of it, well then...

:)
I thank G_D for the clarity to see that I had to get rid of my Virus, EMU VintagePro and get the Voyager. I had never spent that much ($2K used) on an instrument before, (except my Shakuhachi...but I was a real player then...) But when I got her in the mail....WHOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! I'M an analog convert on the spot!!! I just never knew...just never knew...
:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

punkdisco

Post by punkdisco » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:29 am

"I thank G_D for the clarity to see that I had to get rid of my Virus, EMU VintagePro and get the Voyager"

I had a VirusB then a VirusC but it did absolutely nothing for me.. There is something about the sound that I just can not get into and it really did give me a small headache after prolonged sessions (honestly!). Im sure with the right external 'warming' with some nice analogue effects, you could put back into the sound whatever it is that is missing, however, for me life is too short. I want my synths to sound good for free and without effort.. Maybe I am just lazy..
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:39 pm

Whenever a synth has built in effects like the Virus, or Nord I find that quite suspect.

Reverb, chorus, delay is just there to mask digital sounding VCO's and VCF's. That is why the Voyager rules.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:53 pm

punkdisco wrote: I had a VirusB then a VirusC but it did absolutely nothing for me..
My sentiments, too. It looks great on paper and it is a beautiful synth, but I never dug the sound. Too harsh and aggressive. I'm sure if i made like trance music or something I'd be singing a different tune. It is perfect for that stuff.

The nord leads are neat synths. No built-in effects and the pitch/mod interfaces are GREAT. Still, the sound never "WOW"ed me. Still cool, though.

I would love to have the new G2 just because of the shear FLEXIBILITY. That thing is a monster. Anybody have any experience with it?

monads

Post by monads » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:49 am

Although I have a Voyager...I would not dis my Virus C Indigo. No, I don't do trance, but I can get some cool pads out of it and other crazy sounds. But I bet a Nord Lead would be a better combo with the Voya, I'm into more ambient types of stuff these days.

lordzool

Post by lordzool » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:11 am

ok so i need some clarification on the moog being a monophonic synth i have a general idea but i was wondering by it only being able to play notes that just means a single key

i have seen the moog movie in fact i lovingly own a copy and force all my buds to watch they hate that i have become this insane for synths

thanks for all the info

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:09 am

lordzool wrote:ok so i need some clarification on the moog being a monophonic synth i have a general idea but i was wondering by it only being able to play notes that just means a single key

i have seen the moog movie in fact i lovingly own a copy and force all my buds to watch they hate that i have become this insane for synths

thanks for all the info
The Voyager plays only one key and one preset at a time. Pads are not as nice on the V'ger as other synths. Leads, bass and FX are it's strong suit. As far as other synth complementing the V'ger: the Ion blends in well with it. It can come very close in sounding like a Moog plus it is multitimbral and great for pads. Reaktor, the soft synth, also sounds good with it. Arturia's Moog Modular V2 is incredible with the V'ger.

I like the Virus, and the new TI looks fabulous. But Access always seems to discontinue a model after 2 years.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:43 pm

Don't forget that you can use the Voyager as a midi controler for your soft synths, sound modules, VA synths, etc. Fake people out when you play out so it looks like it's all coming from the beautiful "polyphonic" Voyager. :)

!!!AND!!! you can run your other gear into the Voyagers EXT AUD filters then modify them for some incredible sounds and textures.

I do this with my ole' Roland JX-3P. I control it with the Voyager then run it into the Voyager. The Voyager filters really warm up this one!

lordzool

Post by lordzool » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:17 am

well now comes the last two things get the money together and go to the only store in cally thats close to me that carries it

Jeroleen

Post by Jeroleen » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:32 pm

I have been wanting a real analogue synth for some time now. Although I want more than one voice and like the Polyevolver, I think I will never be fully satisfied or happy as a keyboard artist without the Moog voice in my music.

I might as well face it and just plunk down the money. Polyevolvers will come and go but the Minimoog is here to stay.

I would love some opinions on t his issue without resorting to cost/benefit analysis.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:09 pm

Do it!

Look into the RME Voyager if you want so save $$$.