erratic behaviour of parameters

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wthrelfall

erratic behaviour of parameters

Post by wthrelfall » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 am

hi, my performer edition voyager which i recently purchased second hand has a problem. when i change some of the controls, the screen (in panel mode) seems to be jumping very quickly between several different patch parameters. It is as though someone is very quickly changing the controls of the voyager, and I cannot even press the Panel button in order to see the name of the patch.
Interestingly, when I connect the voyager to the editor on my computer, certain virtual front panel knobs and sliders (up to 4 or 5 at once) seem to be rapidly moving between values and settings. Please can you give me your thoughts on what might be causing this, and if it is a major fault, who in the UK or Europe is authorised to fix it?
Kind regards,
william threlfall

this_poison

Post by this_poison » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:33 am

William,

I bought my SE a couple of months ago, and it had been the subject of a thread on this forum which sounded similar to your issue.

The parameters were jumping all over the place with or without interaction, sometimes stopping when you touched the touchpad, then starting again when you stopped.

I obviously checked it out with the store before I bought it and they indicated that it was solved by reinstalling the OS updates in sequence.

Sure enough it's been absolutely perfect ever since.

Anyway, in that case it was a simple fix - nothing to do with boards, connectors, power supplies, dodgy pots etc - all the worrying things.

Hopefully it's the same for yours?

wthrelfall

Post by wthrelfall » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:06 am

hi, thanks for your reply. do you mean re-install the os from 1 through to 2.5? or the 2.5 update sequentially? I'm not exactly sure what the correct way to do that is so any help with that is appreciated.
Did the problem you had occur constantly? Mine runs ok for a few minutes after power up, then starts. It worked fine for a few days when i first got it, which worries me as it sounds like a problem it has developed.

many thanks,
w

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:41 am

I have a new AE and updated in the sequence recommended. (I believe it was B, A, C). I still have the fluttering screen, but it seems to be when I have one of the Mod Busses on a S&H setting.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

this_poison

Post by this_poison » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:48 am

Sorry William, I didn't see the problem myself, as I said it was another forum member who looked at it when it was at Earth Music in London.

I talked to them and was satisfied with their explanation about the OS upgrade fixing it. It arrived with the newest version and has been perfect since.

There are a number of posts that indicate that the OS can be quirky, with all kinds of strange behaviours being cured by upgrading or re-installing the OS. Look under "software" on the Moog site from one of the Voyager pages and you'll find really good instructions on the upgrade options etc.

I've had a JD800 do this in the past, and it was down to dirty pots (well sliders actually). Because the screen tries to keep up with the panel changes, two or three dirty sliders compete with each other as they think they've just been moved. It was fixed by just working each slider for a few seconds (I recall I noted which parameters were on screen as it jumped, and concentrated on them).

Try it on the Voyager if the OS doesn't fix it. (But don't even think about any cleaners or fluids in the pots!!!!!)

Good luck.

(Oh and by the way, a few guys on here have said that Turnkey are OK on fixing Voyagers now, as they are the UK distributor)

wthrelfall

Post by wthrelfall » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:17 am

thanks for all your suggestions.
I have a theory that temperature might have something to do with it. On the day that the problem was at it's worst, it was very hot - 30+ celcius, and my studio has no air con.
I've not really had many more instances of it since then, although I would be surprised if temperature alone was to blame. the thing which i thought might have been triggering it's wonky-ness was flicking the glide and release switches.
well, i might just have to accept there is a spook in the circuits which is a tad annoying. Maybe it will disappear with OS 3 when I can get it.
on that subject, does anyone know when this is likely to appear in the UK?

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:42 am

Stupid question... But might it be pot-mapping in some presets? What OS is installed?

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

wthrelfall

Post by wthrelfall » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:48 am

i have initialized the unit several times, and re-installed the software, so unless the factory presets have complex pot mapping...?

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:50 am

The original (pre OS 2.x) factories have to be initialized each time you load them into the Voyager running a post 2.x OS.
I am not sure, if the online available factory sound sets have been initialized now. Anyone?
So load them all, initialize them and store them for the next time you need them.

The initializing was most likely needed, because the pre 2.x patches had maybe random data in the unused spots that are now used to store the pot mapping and other storable new parameters.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"