Moogerfoogers and the Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
MarkM

Moogerfoogers and the Voyager

Post by MarkM » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm closing in on getting the final dollars for my AE Voyager which has been put on layaway for me. I was wondering how well the M'Foogers integrate into the Voyager. That effects input on the Voyager looks like it would really be handy. Do many here use it with M'Foogers? Which effects do well in the loop?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Mark -

The Mix Out loop is a cool feature of the Voyager, and many possibilities exist for its use. While MoogerFoogers are certainly a good choice, you could use just about any guitar effects pedals or rack mount gear to process the signal.

Effects that work well in the loop include chorus, phasers, flangers, ring mods and filters. Delays and reverbs work, too, but these tend to smear the signal (this may be exactly what you're looking for, however). Some distortion pedals can work here, as well as amp/cab simulators like the Line 6 POD. You could also a graphic or parametric equalizer to 'pre-EQ' the signal before it hits the Moog filter. A tube preamp can be used to boost the signal and provide extra 'beef'. There's a LOT of possibilities.

What doesn't work are compressors and limiters, IMO. This is due to the constant level of the Voyager's oscillators at the Mix Out jack.

I'd suggest you try what you have on hand to process the signal and decide what you'd like to do from there. Try anything and everything, and realize that you can also gang devices together.

Have fun, and if you find a great combination, be sure to let us know. Oh, and congrats on the AE!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:29 pm

One of my favorite things to do with the Moogerfoogers and the Voyager is connect the envelope out of the MF-101 to an input on the Voyager (i.e. filter, pitch). Then send an audio signal (such as a drum loop) to the MF-101, but don't connect the audio out of the MF-101, you want it silent. Set the Voyager's Env. gate to on/external, then go crazy! You get the rhythm of the drum loop, but the tonality of the Voyager!

monads

Post by monads » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:34 am

I use the Murf MF-105 in the loop. It can generate some pretty cool stuff.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:32 am

Interesting ideas, everyone. I'd like to hear more. I especially like OysterRock's suggestion. That's a pretty neat idea. I own the MF 101, 102, & 103. I use them to run various audios through, but I'm anxious to insert them into my future Voyager. I am especially anxious to use the CVs of the MFs and CP251.
Mark Mahoney

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:41 pm

The MF Phaser is unreal with Voyager leads, pads...I'm not even using CV with the MF Phaser yet, and its that badass!! Dude, Moog builds their sh*t real deep. don't sleep!

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:49 am

Both the phaser and the murf work really well in the osc out ring. I'm quite a big fan of a flanger in there, too :) And you can use the spacing out as well if you want to process the shaped sound.

I love the murf quite independently of the voyger - its full of languid stretched out sounds and strange chitterings :)

monads

Post by monads » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:09 am

You guys make me want to go out and get the phaser now...

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:48 pm

the Moog Phaser is achingly subtle...
compared to the Boss Phaser, that is...which i still employ for my Rhodes...

but, my experiments have shown that, for myself, it goes better with the Voyager than the Ring Mod (imho, presently)...I love the ring mod, but I only use it on Rhodes and Electric Guitar, currently...

I played with my buddy's Murf, found it to be VERY deeply made, surface not easily scratched...I tried with the Rhodes and Voyager, didn't have much luck though... BUT when I plugged an American Strat in, it was all magic....I find myself steadily desiring it more and more, I will get it someday, but I thinks my next one is the CP251..., MF104Z if I makin some bread by year's end...
Using an echoplex right now, its totally fantastic, but the MF104Z is MADE for the Voyager...

MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:42 pm

Musashidan wrote:the Moog Phaser is achingly subtle...

Thats my favorite thing about the Moog Phaser. I use mine mostly on my Rhodes, it sounds great on the Voyager, too. You can get these great panning effects when using both outputs, I'm not a big fan of ridiculously swooshy phaser effects.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:28 am

Got my Voyager Sat. but had to work. Was able to hook the CP 251 to it. Crazy! Love it. WIll try my other pedals tomorrow.
Mark Mahoney