voyager technical defect

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Paul W

voyager technical defect

Post by Paul W » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:02 pm

When I got my EB a few months ago, I noticed the little metal support used to prop the back up barely cleared the long hinge that runs the length of the synth.

I just moved to a new apartment. Literally, all I did was put the voyager in the gig bag and drive less than 5 miles with it in the back seat. I just set it up and now I can't prop up the back at all, the support doesn'T clear the hinge. Not even close, it's like 1/4" off!

What now?

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:19 pm

I don't see how the hinge could have moved.

Are you sure your pulling the face of the Voyager as far foward as you can? Don't force the face of the Voyager forward, but just enough until you hit some resistance.

Paul W

Post by Paul W » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:57 pm

The support has not grown in length :) and also it can't have moved, since it is welded into position. All I can figure is that the rest of the synth, which is screwed onto the base, somehow shifted when I picked it up in the gig bag. I suppose when it's on its back like that it creates a shearing stress on these screws and it somehow 're-settled', although the stress really can't be too much. It's held on with 10 screws. Pure conjecture, but something is different now.

I suppose I could loosen the screws and 're-seat' it, or maybe take a metal file to support. In the meantime I can prop it up with a couple phone books.

To be blunt, I am not a happy customer right now. The tolerance should not even be close, I would expect it to clear by at least 1/2" or so. Probably somebody at moog was in a hurry one day and they welded the support on in the wrong spot, and then their inspection didn't catch it. To have such a simple and obvious defect in a $3000 item is really not acceptable.

punkdisco

Post by punkdisco » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:56 am

Hi Paul. I think it is very unlikely that anything has shifted. Just looked at mine and nothing is going anywhere :) So, it yours was okay once it should still be.

To put the panel upright, you have to carefully hold the metal handel next to the lamp socket, lift the panel to 90 degrees or maybe even slightly more but being careful not to go too far. The hinge should now clear but only just..

Is this what you are doing?

Good luck and let us know how you get on..
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

Paul W

Post by Paul W » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:23 pm

Well you guys are right and I'm wrong, I just wasn't pushing far enough. Only the 2nd time I've done this. But the EB owner's manual says (pg. 3):

CAUTION: Do not over-tilt the front panel when pulling it forward.

Rhetorical question:

Why do I have to pull it past 90° in the first place? ESPECIALLY WHEN IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS NOT TO IN THE OWNERS MANUAL?!

Moral to the story: when all else fails, get a bigger hammer. Ignore the instructions.

Despite the egg on my face, I stand by the rant in the last post. It's good to know it's a general design 'feature' and not a manufacturing flaw unique to my voyager... Not very well thought out though IMO. Furniture builders have been designing simple, intuitive ways of tilting panels for hundreds of years now.

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:09 pm

The hinge of the Voyager and the Minimoog is so simple build, because then noone will need a manual to use it ;)

And I am sure, that it is more durable then the high-tech version on the Waldorf WAVE. There you have problems of pneumatic lifter leaking after some years and the panel suddenly falling down on the main housing. My 1979 hinge is still standing strong ;) While I had to swap the pneumatic bumper like lifters of the WAVE once.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"