Pot Mappings - Are they static?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
punkdisco

Pot Mappings - Are they static?

Post by punkdisco » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:46 pm

Just started to play with the Pot Mappings. Are they literally just static 'knob position' sources?

I have the following:

STEP 1
======
SRC: Osc 3 Freq
Dest: Fil CutOff
Dir: Normal
Amount: 100%

So, if I sweep the Osc Frequency knob, the filter sweeps as expected..

STEP 2
======
Set LFO to sweep Osc3 via the Pedal Bus. Turn Osc3 on and you can here its frequency being swept as expected BUT the Filter CutOff is not swept..

Looks like the Pot Mappings are literally just the knob positions and not the actual underlying parameter values, in this case, Osc Frequency.

If I take the Pedal Bus out from my VX351 and then back into the Filter CV, the Cutoff is now swept by the LFO as expected..

This is a bit of a shame as cant really appreciate what the point of the Pot Mappings is with this implementation. What are other people using them for?

Thanks,
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:44 pm

Hello,

Pot mapping allows you to reassign the Vger's hardware functions however,
because some of the functions are controllers (mod/pitch wheel, kbd,
etc.), its easy to think that it works the same way as the modulation matrix that you see on the Memorymoog or P5, when the two are quite different.
A mod matrix routes static/dynamic, ac/dc signals, but it also routes the entire function.
For example, if you assign filter EG amount to pulse width in a mod matrix, it sends the envelope generator output to dynamically control the pulse width function. With pot mapping, it maps the filter envelope generator amount pot on the Vger to manually control the pulse width (waveshape).
Its not much of a problem if you remember the limitations of pot mapping vis-a-vis a mod matrix.
Among its most useful functions are assigning filter or waveshape functions
to a controller such as keyboard. You could map the amount so that the
oscillator waveshape depends on which region of the keyboard you play on.
Takes some experimentation.

Regards,

LWG

omitting

Post by omitting » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:19 am

Online Proxy Checker, proxy checker, proxies checker, check proxies list, online checking proxy, check free proxies, check free proxylist, proxi checker, proxy checking, proxies list cheker, socks proxy checker, check socks proxies, socks 5 proxy checker, socks 4 proxy checker, HTTP proxy checker, socks proxy check, online check socks proxies, check list of proxies: http://www.checkproxy.net

monads

Re: Pot Mappings - Are they static?

Post by monads » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:59 pm

punkdisco wrote: This is a bit of a shame as cant really appreciate what the point of the Pot Mappings is with this implementation. What are other people using them for?
Yep, I know what you mean. You can't really think of it as a mod-matrix but just exactly what it is, 'Pot Mapping'. One of things I'll use it for is key pitch to control filter cutoff. Or envelope/amp attack to control something else. And sometimes I'll just set a source and scroll through destinations to see what weird shiit comes out :) It's still a welcomed feature.