The scoop on 3.0 and Hardware upgrade

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers

So do you need this if you have editor software?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 14

sir_dss

The scoop on 3.0 and Hardware upgrade

Post by sir_dss » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:18 am

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:06 am

I must say that it is a lot bigger board than I expected.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

gd

Post by gd » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:06 pm

I like the idea of just ordering the board for $225, that seems reasonable.
Mini D, P'08 ..

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:45 pm

According to a contact at Moog Music, the new digital board will be preloaded with the software, so there will be no need to download it from the website. The board will also have the factory preset banks preinstalled.

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:50 pm

sometimes it is not about need but convenience and when you have already invested this much in a board, what is a couple of hundred more bucks.

And, maybe future updates will require the board, who knows. But I for one know I will shell out for the field upgrade.

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:45 am

I think the poll question is missing the question wether one needs to have so many sounds available at all.
The Voyager is not a knob free synth.
And how to remember in which bank at what possition the nice new sound was stored to? Keeping track on more then 128 patches stored is something impossible for my brain. I am sure one can memorize certain numbers of sounds stored. But more then 500 ? So one will have to dial through the patches stored to find the one that you just need. If so, its more like having a plenty of fast-food factory patches available to choose from. I prefer using the knobs.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:48 am

MarkM wrote:I must say that it is a lot bigger board than I expected.
This is my not updated Voyagers inside:
http://till-kopper.de/voyager.html
I havn't yet spot a difference. And because the flash-Rom is "only" changed to one with more storing capacity, I don't expect that much changes on the digital board at all.

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:52 am

Sorry, english isn't my native language. But is the news page about OS 3.0 and the hardware upgrade really telling us, that one only gets the new software bundled with the update? They sell the new update from now on. But the new OS is not available for download in the Voyager software listing. So one needs to upgrade the Voyager to get the External Audio Pod to change the sound number? I am sure there is no hardware modification available to do so. Also the Midi data stream reducing does not need different hardware.
Maybe Moog Musi just didn't made the new OS version available for non-upgraders yet? :roll:

Till "Qwave" Kopper

monads

Post by monads » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:48 am

Qwave wrote:Keeping track on more then 128 patches stored is something impossible for my brain. I am sure one can memorize certain numbers of sounds stored. But more then 500 ? So one will have to dial through the patches stored to find the one that you just need. If so, its more like having a plenty of fast-food factory patches available to choose from. I prefer using the knobs.
You mean you can't tell me what patch No. 569 was? :lol: What we need is a feature added to the OS. Very simple, a 'Category' section is added to the Edit menu with pre-selected categories i.e. None, Bass, Decay, Plucked, Strings, Pad, FX, Drums, Organ, etc. When you create a patch you select and save the category. Now under the 'Category' is a Search. Select the category and use the scroll knob to cylce through the patches for that category!

It's not an all in one solution, but it makes scrolling faster to find that sound you want.

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:08 pm

Right Monads !
But if this is included, the patches done before OS 3.0 will be different in the SysEx file formate. And this is also not a good thing. Or would you like to add the missing catagories to all those factory patches and your own patches one by one?

Till "Qwave" Kopper

monads

Post by monads » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:09 pm

I would take the time to add the categories to my own patches, I don't use many of the factory presets. Yea it would be alot of work for ONE person if you wanted those factory patches categorized. The Editor could help speed it along if it accommodated this feature. Then dump the patches out of the Voyager SysEx. It could be done.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:38 pm

Does anyone know more about how the actual install will be done for the version 3.0 upgrade? Is it a relatively simple deal like the VX-351 expansion board or will it require soldering and a background in electronics to do it right?

monads

Post by monads » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:25 am

I don't think it would require a background in electronics to install and I'm thinking along the lines of the VX-351. If it did, yea it would be best to know cause I'd just send my Voyager in now rather than wait till October to find out.

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:54 am

I posted this before, this is what Sweetwater was sent from Moog Music, sounds reletively easy

You must perform this upgrade in a static free environment.

For Voyager Signature, Anniversary, Electric Blue or Performer Editions:
1) Open the chassis (5 screws)
2) Detach the 6 cables and 4 connectors attached to the Digital Board
3) Unscrew the 6 screws holding down the Digital Board
4) Install the new Digital Board
5) Attach the cables and connectors
6) Close up the unit with the 5 screws

monads

Post by monads » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:35 am

Thanks for clearing it up. It sounds simple enough.