Money Mark Minimoog trick

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
corkyburger

Money Mark Minimoog trick

Post by corkyburger » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:46 pm

What exactly is Money Mark doing with his Minimoog and is it possible with the voyager?

It sounds great and I'd love to try it.

CB

corkyburger

Post by corkyburger » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:48 pm

Sorry I should just explain that I am referring to the scene in the Moog film where Money Mark seems to have some kind of Microphone plugged into his minimoog and this sounds like it is controlling pitch.

CB

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:02 am

MM probably is doing nothing more than processing his voice using a mic (probably a small dynamic) plugged into the External input of the Mini. In the scene where he plays with Mix Master Mike you can clearly see the Mini's External Overload lamp blinking, meaning he's overdriving the external input.

In a prior scene, he seems to have a guitar effect pedal connected, but there's no good view of the pedal sufficient to tell what it is. The pedal MAY be a distortion type with gain, useful to boost the mic signal before hitting the Mini, but I can't tell.

You can easily duplicate the setup with the Voyager. You need a dynamic mic (no phantom power needed - a good thing since MM uses his mouth to hold the mic in the video!), and possibly a preamp to boost the signal. Plug in and bliss out.

sinus

Post by sinus » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 am

I think that overdriving the mini´s ext-in, maybe in addition with a stompbox (delay? distortion?)
and the feedback you get from a mic when you put your hand around it (what MM does in the film) does the trick.
the rest, in my opinion, is his voice (like faking an electric guitar with your voice).

and it looks like he´s using a realy cheap mic.