Version 3.0 OS

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
monads

Post by monads » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:00 am

But the Electric Blue still retails for the same price...maybe vendors haven't updated their prices?

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:28 pm

I think that moog market research has probably found the price of the keyboard version to be the ceiling price for a monosynth. I could be wrong (just ask my wife) but I think people won't pay even $50 more for a monosynth, even with the moog name and sound. I think they will find that going over that 'psychological' barrier of $2000 will also effect sales of the rack unit but only time will tell. I was lucky enough to get the ae for under $2000 brand new and I probably would not have paid more even though I love it and have wanted a moog since I was 15.

mark

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 pm

I would imagine places like Nova Musik had to buy the board and install it. If they have the RME in stock then they had purchased it. To be competive Nova probably thought they needed to get the latest update. When you think about it they are saving you $25, the trouble of installing it and having it NOW rather than sometime in October.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

eweise

Post by eweise » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:54 pm

I think I understand what you're saying about Novamusik but my point is that the list price for the RME at moogmusic.com is now $2395. I'm pretty that it listed at $2195 when it was introduced just a couple of months ago. This price increase can't be due to and upgrade since I'm pretty that moog doesn't install the original board in new products and then pull it out and install the upgraded board.

They just install the better board which probably costs less than the old board. Technology costs decrease over time in all other worlds besides music equipment.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:23 pm

I think Nova had to buy the board and install it themselves. Probably in a few months the old price will come back.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

zaque

the upgrade is not free for new orders

Post by zaque » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:25 pm

as many of you have noticed the price of the rme has been increased (moog went from $2195 to $2395) to account for the upgrade. i just called moog to check on my order and to try and ensure that my unit comes with the 3.0 upgrade and they gave me the low down on the price increase.

i'm a bit frustrated with this upgrade honestly. i can't imagine that the boards they are installing cost so much more that they need to raise the price. i also can't imagine that there was so much R&D that went into this upgrade to justify the price either. i have no problem paying reasonable upgrade prices for full upgrades but $325? $225? $125? c'mon. how about $50? i worry that every few years they'll drop something like this and we'll have these discussions all over again.

the good news in all of this is that at least the hardware is modular enough that it can be easily upgraded so that new features can be added over time - just give us a fair price. we're already paying a lot for these instruments. stop trying to bleed us for more :-(
#!/zach

monads

Post by monads » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:35 pm

thebedroom wrote:I was lucky enough to get the ae for under $2000 brand new
That is a serious deal...brandnew?! Damn.

Still, Cwejman has the SI MKII and S2. Those both retail for around $2,999 and $1,999. NO PATCH MEMORY. So take your pick. These instruments are expensive no doubt. It's all business and definitely not catering to the poor musician types...and I know how poor I am with barely anything recorded happly tweaking my Moog creating sounds...LOL.