Zipper noise on certain patch

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
monads

Zipper noise on certain patch

Post by monads » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:55 pm

I was doing a filter sweep on a particular patch and I get the dreaded zipper noise. I can't figure it out. The noise is not there when i audition the patch with the sweep. And I don't get it on other patches which is why I'm stumped. Has this happened to anyone else?

just in case, I'm not filtering out controllers #19 & 51 if you were thinking this was the problem.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:56 pm

What's the patch? How did you perform the sweep?

monads

Post by monads » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:04 am

It was a patch I created. I just turned the Cutoff clockwise. Is there anyway I can send/email you the patch to test?

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:13 pm

I dialed a patch on my Voyager that sounded like a zipper too. My next impression is to synthesize a big wet fart :wink:

Splashmash

Post by Splashmash » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:10 am

Pull out your midi cables and play the patch. Do you still get the sound?

I got this problem once and narrowed it down to a dodgy midi cable

monads

Post by monads » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:36 pm

The patch plays fine. It's when I send filter controller data to the Voya it sounds screwed up on the patch only. I'm gonna send the patch to Greg when I get home.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:37 pm

Robert -

I think of got it figured out.

First I loaded your patch and recorded a manual filter sweep into Cubase. Upon playback, I heard serious zipper noise (bordering on distortion). This confirmed to me that the problem wasn't your MIDI setup or cabling.

After numerous attempts at troubleshooting, I took a look at your patch using the Voyager Editor. I noticed that you've got the Pot Mapping 1 Source set to Key Pitch and the Destination set to Filter Cutoff, 25%, Inverse. I set the pot mapping to OFF, and re-recorded the filter sweep into Cubase. Upon playback, the zipper noise was gone and a smooth filter sweep resulted.

I'm not sure I can say why the problem seems to be related to the Pot Mapping settings. Obviously there's some weird interaction going on with the CC's, but at least now you know what's happening.

Cheers!

Greg

monads

Post by monads » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:37 pm

Thanks Greg! I'll just clear the pot map settings. I kinda understand the problem, as if I'm trying to chain assignments, it's conflicting if I manually try a filter sweep with the pot mapping on which the destination is also the cutoff. Hmm...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:05 am

You know, that zipper noise (actually more like a weird stutter effect) WAS a cool sound. Applying a little delay to it turned it into an interesting effect.

Things that make you go hmmm...

BTW - I liked the patch!