Tuning and the RME

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
zaque

Tuning and the RME

Post by zaque » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:03 pm

hey folks,

i'm considering picking up an rme but i've got a few quetsions about them. this one is mainly about tuning.

i've never owned an anolog synth (all digital hardware and software) so i'm curious what it means to "tune" the thing. also, i'm curious how one goes about tuning an rme while it is in the rack? do you have to take it out of the rack or walk around the back? or is the tuning "interface" in the front? how often do you typically need to tune it?

also, i can't seem to find a picture of the backside of the rme. would anybody be willing to send me a picture of theirs?

do any owners of them rme who have theirs in a rack find it to be inconveniet to tune the thing when mounted (if it's even possible)?
#!/zach

OysterRock

Re: Tuning and the RME

Post by OysterRock » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:27 pm

zaque wrote:... i'm curious what it means to "tune" the thing....
There is a knob on the front that says "fine tune". Analog oscillators tend to drift out tune. Many factors cause this, one being temperatue. The Voyager is very good at staying in tune, but it may be off by a few semitones every once in a while. I make sure to tune before I record anything.

Anyway, to answer your question, tuning is not a big deal. If it is out of tune, just adjust the "Fine Tune" knob on the front and in a matter of seconds you're good to go.