Touch Pad - comfortably playing position?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
punkdisco

Touch Pad - comfortably playing position?

Post by punkdisco » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:18 am

Really getting into the Voyager but found my first little niggle last night.

On one hand I like the panel to be in its up-most position as a) looks incredible b) perfect position for knob reading c) perfect position for knob twiddling. However, I get really bad wrist ache whilst playing the touch panel. In this position you have to have your wrist double backed on itself to make flat finger contact.

So, for the touch pad you need the panel in a flat position so you can comfortably stroke your fingers across it.

Anyone else have these issues? Its not a big deal but it does mean I have to have my Voyager's panel a lot shallower then I would have liked..

See you,
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:26 am

The best position for the TouchPad is with the panel flat. Of course, this means that the knobs are no longer in the best position.

The placement of the Touchpad is a mixed bag IMO. With its center placement it can be accessed by either the left or right hand, but it really isn't optimized for either hand in this position.

Personally, I would have preferred a different design that would have the Touchpad located next to the Pitch and Mod Wheels (and therefore positioned flat). I would add a numeric keypad in the space where the Touchpad currently resides and move the LCD/keypad combo to the far right of the panel. This would push all panel knobs to the left and middle.

You could argue that this arrangement is not desireable for left-handed folks, but with the Pitch and Mod Wheel placement already standardized, adding an alternative controller like the Touchpad in this location seems to make sense.

An idea for the next Voyager?

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:35 pm

They could probably do left and right handed versions!

I also have the panel almost flat when using the touchpad. Above or below or to the side of the wheels would be a great place to put it.

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:42 pm

I use the Voyager (and therefor the touchpad) in the first upward position (=lowest slope before going flat). I always use my Voyager in the lowest position in my keyboard supports. And most of the time its on a single H-shape support at the same height as my desk. And also next to my working desk. Its nice to be able to got a running Voyager next to your desk to have some knobtwisting in the breaks between two tasks.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"