Filters serial / parallel

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Yawgmoth

Filters serial / parallel

Post by Yawgmoth » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:58 am

Heya!

As I read the manual I assume that the filter works paralel (1 for each audio channel). Is it posible too tweak the Voyager, so that 100% of the osc. output goes to filter 1 and the output of filter 1 is feeded into filter 2, so the filter works in serie?

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:25 am

The filter can be switched to be serial:
If you set them to the HIGHPASS / LOWPASS mode.

But I think you were looking for two lowpass filters in a row. I think you will need a soldering iron and you will have reverse-engineer the shematics to do such a modification.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:00 am

Another possibility would be the Arturia Moog Modular V software. You could have three filters the way you want them then.

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:15 pm

Nah, now soldering in my Moog :) I just made a patch of 2 lp filters in a row on my Ion, with the filters tracking eachother. I sounds great! I wanted too do that on my Voyager too, and was wonder if i was missing the point somewhere.

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:35 pm

try two 12 db lowpass filters both using a bit of resonance. But detune the filters by about an octave. Or just try yourself different settings. The resulting filter will sound more rough.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:00 pm

Or you could record one line, then send it through the Moog again. That way, you have two parallel paths... in serial!

(Unless you re-process the left and right sides of the original separately, in which case you'd have two parallel filters, in series with two other pairs of parallel filters. Sick!)

-Hoax

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:38 am

<<Yawgmoth wrote:

I just made a patch of 2 lp filters in a row on my Ion, with the filters tracking eachother. I sounds great! I wanted too do that on my Voyager too, and was wonder if i was missing the point somewhere. >>

The Ion is a wonderful bit of kit - I own one, too. It's great that you can put filters in series, but it generally makes more sense if the filters are different types (i.e an Oberheim HPF cascaded into a Moog LPF). Placing the same filter type in series (i.e. 2 Moog LPF's) can result in a steeper rolloff if the filter settings are the same (watch that resonance!), but the sonic result is often less than stellar in my experience.

I think this is one of the reasons the Voyager LP filters can't be placed in series. It's much more musically useful to have a HPF and LPF in series (Voyager Mode HP/LP), or two LPF's in parallel (Voyager Mode Dual Lowpass).

Wanna try a serial LPF configuration anyway? Get a MoogerFooger LPF and place it in the Mix Out loop.

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:23 am

GregAE wrote:<<Yawgmoth wrote:

Get a MoogerFooger LPF and place it in the Mix Out loop.
I will buy one the next months. Now feeding the Voyager outputs into the Nord Modular, also great fun!!!

punkdisco

Post by punkdisco » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:44 am

Okay, I know its not the same but... I just took the Voyager raw oscillators out using the "Mix Out/Filter In" socket, sent them to my MS20 Ext Signal, and then back into the Voyager (same "Mix Out/Filter In" socket). I triggered the MS20 from the VX351 Gate output (did not need pitch control as had the MS20 oscillators turned off). Could have triggered via midi but Gate was easier.

Anyway, here you have the filters in series. Never done this before and it really sounds great.

Voyager Osc -> MS20 Filter -> Voyager Filter

Could add the MS20 oscillators by trigger pitch via my midi converter to give a 5 oscillator monster! Will do this later..

See you,
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:44 pm

punkdisco wrote:Okay, I know its not the same but... I just took the Voyager raw oscillators out using the "Mix Out/Filter In" socket, sent them to my MS20 Ext Signal, and then back into the Voyager (same "Mix Out/Filter In" socket). I triggered the MS20 from the VX351 Gate output (did not need pitch control as had the MS20 oscillators turned off). Could have triggered via midi but Gate was easier.

Anyway, here you have the filters in series. Never done this before and it really sounds great.

Voyager Osc -> MS20 Filter -> Voyager Filter

Could add the MS20 oscillators by trigger pitch via my midi converter to give a 5 oscillator monster! Will do this later..

See you,
Wow!!!!! What planet where I on? I just plug the "Mix Out/Filter In" into my Ion :lol: It's not a Moog filter but cool anyway.

@ Punkdisco: Love the music on your site 88-89 a go go. :roll: