EFX Processor for Voyager???

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
TZ_Keyz

EFX Processor for Voyager???

Post by TZ_Keyz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:33 am

I tried putting my Voyager through some "stomp pedals" but noticed clipping. I also tried my Line 6 POD, the drag with the Pod is you can't chenge the Echo level on the unit, you have to do it via software. I'm looking for a unit w/Digital Delay, Chorus, etc. Back in "the day" I used a Morely Electro Static Delay Line, followed by a Multivox tape echo, then various DDL's. What are "you guys" using these days? TZ
Current arsenal: Kurzweil PC2, PC88MX, Triton Pro, Electro 2, Triton rack, Roland JV-880, D550, JD-990, and an Electric Blue Voyager in a walnut case.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:08 pm

There are a plethora of possibilities here. A few suggestions:

TC Electronic M300 - About $200 (US). Reverb, delay (ducking, digital, tape, ping pong), chorus, flanging, phasing, etc. Easy interface. Rack mount, 1U. A good all-arounder, IMO.

Lexicon (MPX100, 110, 500, 550) - All variations of the same basic processor. Reverb, delay, phasing, flanging, chorusing, detune. Mine is an MPX 100. Interface is a bit fiddly, but not difficult. Rack mount, 1U. Lexicon quality reverb. Price depends on unit chosen.

Boss VF1 - Mainly a guitar processor in the sense that it incorporates amp/cab sims in addition to reverb, delay, chorusing, etc, but works great with the Vger through stereo in's on back panel. Interface is menu driven (not a lot of knobs here). Some effects programs will definately put some hair on the Vger's tone! Half-rack, 1U. A cool box. No longer made, but you might find a used one on eBay or in a music store.

Others? Sure, but the three I mentioned I use regularly, and any one would make a fine companion to the Vger.

Note: Multi-effects boxes don't seem to do everything well. Example: You may love the reverb but hate the chorus effect. Check out as many of the available programs as you can in each unit you're considering.

Hope this helps.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:17 am

The Kurzweil Mangler is another goog unit as well as the MoogerFoogers.

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:47 am

The Foogers are BANGIN! High quality FX, PLUS CV!!!
I've used the Ring Mod & MURF w/ my Voy & their friggin amazin!

peace
:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

punkdisco

Post by punkdisco » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:22 am

Hi

>> Lexicon (MPX100, 110, 500, 550) - All variations of the same basic processor. <<

If you go for a Lexicon you will need to do a little research as there are subtle but important differences between the models. Obvious differences are, more money = more i/o, but there are under the hood differences. Off the top of my head (so please dont quote me on this):

20Bit: MPX100, MPX200, MPX500
24Bit: MPX110, MPX550, MPX1

Custom Lexicon DSP (as used in the high end PCM processors): MPX550 (1 Chip), MPX1 (2 Chips)
Standard DSP: all the others

So, they all give you the Lexicon sound but the algorithms are tailored to the amount of power available. For example, my MPX1 has a similar number of effects as the MPX550 but on the MPX1, 1 chip is dedicated to reverb and the other does all the other effects. The MPX550's single chip has to handle reverb and all the other effects so clearly the reverb will not sound quite as good..

btw, the new Lexicon MX200 looks good:

http://www.lexiconpro.com/mx200/index.asp

For that price, clearly it is going to be a 'low end' lexicon sound (still very nice!) but the MX200 can be used as a VST which is handy if you have a VST DAW..

Good luck..
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk : Getting Married? Need a [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Weddings.htm]reception band[/url]? New [url=http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/DVDA.mp3]DVDA Track[/url]

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:15 pm

Punk -

I looked into the MX200. It's so new that stores are just beginnig to carry them. Very nice specs, and an interface which is much improved over my MPX100. Haven't actually auditioned one, but based on the specs alone it's definately worth checking out. GC's got 'em for $199 (US), which is the same price as the TC Electronic M300 I mentioned.

Another worthy contender to be added to the list.

JvS

Post by JvS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:36 pm

I use the MPX100 for my MMV. Sounds great. Just a little chorus an a dash of hall reverb.
I had the TC electronics as well. I liked it but the effects sounded a bit less interesting (to clean perhaps) than the MPX.

BTW, the MPX has midi, combine it with a simple midi controller like a Behringer Bcontrol and you can have a different FX program for every Voyager sound (until MoogMusic gives us the opportunity to define midi program changes in future MMV software updates)

Cheers
Jan
Kurzweil K2661, K2600, K2500, Roland AX7, Moog Voyager Anniversary.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:00 pm

I have started plugging my AE into the Vox Tonelab and out to the bd for some nice sounds. I found the tube in its preamp section adds a nice warm tonal quality and when overdirven sounds fantastic.
Mini D, P'08 ..

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:25 am

TZ -

I checked out the Lexicon MX200 (suggested by Punkdisco (Paul)) and was sufficiently impressed to buy it. Unlike the TC Electronics M300, the Lex's two processors can be set independently for reverb, delay, chorus, phase, etc. Want two choruses in parallel? Done. Want to flange a reverb? Easy. Want a small plate reverb to feed into a large hall reverb? No problem. The front panel routing control makes it easy to select how the two effects processors interact. The interface is dead simple, and the dedicated controls (three for each processor) allow for plenty of variations of each effect. Oh, and it sounds great, too.

Given what the MX200 can do, I think it beats the M300 for the price (each is about $200 US street). Don't get me wrong - the M300 is no slouch for the money, but time and technology advances prevail here, and the MX200's ease-of-use quotient clearly puts it over the top for me.

Greg
---

LWG

Post Subject

Post by LWG » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:49 am

Hello,

I use a Lexi MPX-550 and its quite flexible. Although the newer units allow more advanced functions like integration with DAWs and the like, the less recent low/midrange (and high-end) multi-effect devices still incorporate connections for balanced XLR cables (of which I am still a fan).
The MPX-1 is very good and probably has slightly better reverbs than the 550, given it uses an independent processor as disco has pointed out.

Regards,

LWG

jaded bob

Post by jaded bob » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:32 am

After reading this thread and checking oit out i also bought a lexi mx200, easy to use and a nice sound. Really quite impressed, although this is the 1st external fx unit i've bought. joe

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:33 am

The Lex MX200 IS a nice piece of kit. I'm very happy with mine. :-)

If you're after something that provides distortion or overdrive (see TZ-Keyz initial post), the MX200 doesn't fit the bill. TZ mentioned trying a Line 6 POD - an interesting choice as it combines amp and cabinet simulators (and some limited effects) that can work wonders with the Voyager. Note that not all Vger sounds work well when processed through a device like the POD - some guitar-like patches get big, beefy and sound great. Other, more traditional synth patches don't fair as well. In fact, processing through a distortion/overdrive device takes the Voyager further away from the classic Moog sound than you might want. And then, again...

Kjeks

Post by Kjeks » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:18 pm

Lexicon is to me also "the one" when it comes to making room.
personly I still use "just a little" of my old Lex. PCM 60. (could never afford a 224)
and, the Voyager can in goodsounding rooms, be played "dry"!

use what you feel or hear sounds good to you! ... means ... what you like!

when it comes to distortion and overdrive; use tubes !

just my opinion.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Tubes are cool; in fact a bit of tube overdrive can add considerable gerth to an already fat Moog patch.

Tubes can also be employed to warm up the sound of sterile digital boards. (Yeah, I've got a few of those laying around - I'll bet you do, too!) ;-)