Route LFO to Noise?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
thealien666

Re: Route LFO to Noise?

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Just Me wrote:Why would you want eurorack format modular if you you are going to interface to Moog? ...
Probably for space reasons...

Besides, Eurorack format interfaces easily to Moog gear using these inexpensive adapters: (around a dollar each on eBay)

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Heading back to reasearching....

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Also looking for some 1/4" to 1/8" cables.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:33 am

It's best to use 1/8" cables, as the 1/4" adapters don't put as much strain on the jacks as 1/8" adapters, which add 2" of length to the 1/4" plug. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 am

Modulating a noise source isn't so unusual -there's at least one example in the moogerfooger manuals on how to take the noise source out of a CP-251 and feed into moogerfooger to do exactly that :lol:

In the book "ANALOG DAYS" http://books.google.ca/books/about/Anal ... edir_esc=y Buchla's "Source of Uncertainty" is defined more less as Buchla's own idiosyncratic name for what Moog calls SAMPLE & HOLD.(see page 47 & 48) Can anyone confirm that and/or provide further info???

To the original poster, since you already have the Moog, i recommend checking out a CP-251 and a VX-351~ from which you can route noise, square, saw & S&H waves and a whole lot more ~ plus you can use the voyager as an additional source with the VX-351 expander.

To anyone advocating Eurorack modular gear can you say why, and post links that hopefully demonstrate or will help point me to any sound the moog gear (voyager, minitaur, phatty & 'foogers) can't already do? Further to that even a SINGLE module that anyone might suggest would be helpful ~ personally i would prefer to stay with 1/4" format, but open to hear about anything and everything :)

thanks, Pete
MC wrote:Modulating a noise source with an LFO is rather unusual. The only module that has that facility is the Buchla Source of Uncertainty which is a very unusual noise source.

Noise sources from almost everything else are unpitched and modulation will have no effect.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Hmmm. . . you mean using noise as a source for modulating some other parameter. Right, MrPete? I think the quote in your post is about the opposite scenario, actually.

Gonna have to check out that "Analog Days" book. Thanks for the headsup!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

astricii

Post by astricii » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Couldn't you use osc. 3 in low frequency mode set to saw and choose amp as the destination? I have a select so I don't recall exactly what limits are for the os compared to mine this seems simple enough though.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm

No If memory serves that example I was thinking of in the MoogerFooger manual was taking the Noise from CP-251 and feeding it into a MidiMurf but I think you could get good results with a phaser, and of course definitely great results feeding into one of the Moog synths as external audio to add into the mix with the other oscillators... :D
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D