Very interesting from Sweetwater

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
EricK

Re: Very interesting from Sweetwater

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 pm

This has been verified by sweetwater, and they are only getting two. Im sure Dan will be all over it!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Two, out of five total for all of USA, that ain't bad. Shows the buying power of Sweetwater.

But they can keep them. I certainly wouldn't spend $15K for one. I'd rather buy myself a couple of Memorymoogs for that price (just in case one fails...) :wink:
But all of this is mute, as I don't have $15K to spend anyway... :cry:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 am

I am a big fan of Moog synths and the Moog philosophy behind synths. But this one? I don't understand the philosophy behind it. And it's ugly. Where is that pioneer spirit of Bob Moog? Whould be better to celebrate with, for instance a polyphonic unit instead, or a mk2 with the Model D overdrived filters etc, and probably more achievable to some more people. This on is probably not a synth that will be used for making music, just a collector peace (it is sad when musical instruments ending up just as collector items - so far away the idea of music that it can be) that will be covered with dust, not love and passion for music in the spirit of Bob Moog.

I would like to suggest to celebrate instead of what made Moog famous: The sound.

I hope I'm wrong, but not sure I am...

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 pm

We can deduce from the way that Taurus pedals were marketed that they won't make a product if there is no demand for it.

This is potentially their most ambitious R&D funding source ever. Depending on how much they had to pay for the metals, for the back panel, and for the artist's work, they are likely set to make some cash on this.

So lets think...they up their highest price to 6K for the Vo Guitars, to 15K for a Glam Voyager with shower handles...what will come of this?

I really don't see why people argue that a polysynth isn't feasible, especially when we now know that Moog isn't afraid of putting a 15K product out there.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 pm

I think Moog Music might be a little afraid of another "Alesis Andromeda failure"...business wise, of course. That's what sank Alesis before it was saved from bankruptcy and bought by Numark. They had spent an inordinate amount of money into R&D and the production of their own customized chips for this ambitious project, even if they owned their own chip fab foundry (that was sold also to Wavefront by Numark).

The subsequent relatively high price (at the time of its arrival on the musical instruments market). And its less-than-attractive (not to say confusing) front panel, prevented it from being the huge success it should have been. And it also came out when Virtual Analog, costing thousands of dollars less, were selling well and was the fad.

Today it is regarded as one of the most advanced, and powerful, analog polysynths ever created with its 16 voices ! Surely already a classic. The last A6s produced by Numark (to try desperately to recoup some of the money lost, and use all the custom ASIC chips that had been made) were sold barely over cost price to resellers. Shortly after, Numark got out of the musical instrument business altogether and concentrated on their DJ equipment instead.

If Moog would ever venture in the polysynth domain again, they would surely ask a big deposit in advance and produce very limited quantities. Because such a big endeavour could ruin the relatively small company if it's not done right, design wise, production wise, and marketing wise.

That's why I cannot, for the life of me, understand this Gold Voyager...thing...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 am

thealien666 wrote:If Moog would ever venture in the polysynth domain again, they would surely ask a big deposit in advance and produce very limited quantities. Because such a big endeavour could ruin the relatively small company if it's not done right, design wise, production wise, and marketing wise.

That's why I cannot, for the life of me, understand this Gold Voyager...thing...
Unless, the sales of these horrific monstrosities goes towards building a polysynth... :idea:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:01 am

Im honestly curious.....does anyone here think the Anniversary Voyager is awesome?

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 am

I think it's hideous.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 am

Voltor07 wrote: Unless, the sales of these horrific monstrosities goes towards building a polysynth... :idea:
Voltor, be careful about dropping the P*******h word around here. People in these parts tend to get upset at the mere mention of it for some odd reason.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:15 am

I think it's horribly unattractive, and ridiculously designed. Gold? Really? Are you f*cking kidding me? ugh. I hope this is some sort of joke and they're really planning to release a legitimate new product. Most of us would much rather drop upwards of 15 grand on a polyphonic Moog. right?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 pm

namahshaman wrote:Most of us would much rather drop upwards of 15 grand on a polyphonic Moog. right?
Eeyup! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 pm

All I know is that they are giving away some of the most beautiful Voyagers ever made. I quite like the amber on white and the Black with white switches. So take a break from the negativity and have a look here: http://www.moogmusic.com/news/select-se ... e-cabinets

Then, visit your favorite Moog dealer and buy one.

(I bought mine from Nova Musik, but I bought my Mesa Engineering bass amp head from Humbucker; both great outfits.)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I always liked the Mahogany/Jade combo. :)

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:09 am

Saying that one don't like a particular Moog product, and why and what instead is not necessary negative, but a reaction and opinion of a product.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:53 am

I wonder why nothing has been announced yet by Moog Music about it ?

All there is now is the announcement of a "glow-in-the-dark" Theremin for Halloween... :roll:

Edit: ...with a badly done video demo about it, where the player is bad, the lighting is bad, the Theremin isn't the light source, and leaves the impression of a April fool's day thing... Moreover, how can a wood casing be glowing in the dark, unless it has been painted green with toxic phosphorous paint ? :roll: :lol:
Last edited by thealien666 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion