just a question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
spin

just a question

Post by spin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:08 am

Hi guys! Just a simple question: why voyager doesn't have the overload knob like the little phatty? It is very cool and give a lot of sound shape possibilities. It would be great also on minitaur...i can't understand why moog had chosen only the phatty for this feature. Someone know the reason? :mrgreen:

grapeflavor

Re: just a question

Post by grapeflavor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Semi-related. I recently had the chance to try out a Voyager for the first time at my local pro audio store. I was super stoked to get my hands on it; and while it did greatly impress me with its sonic character and modulation possibilities, i found myself really missing the filter overdrive. I kept dialing in a nice soudning patch and thinking "let me add a little overdrive to that" and try to reach for the overdrive knob that isnt there :lol:.

It's definitely an awesome and very powerful synth, but my Little Phatty has spoiled me with its tasty overdrive. :P
Moog Little Phatty, Korg Radias, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, NI Massive, Ableton Live 8, Saffire Pro 40

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:03 pm

FYI, you can perform the same "overdrive" trick as on a vintage Minimoog D on a Voyager. The process is the same: take one of the two audio output from Voyager and feed it back (connect it via a cable) to the external input.
You can adjust the level with the external input volume knob. There's even a red LED to show when the signal is overloaded.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

grapeflavor

Post by grapeflavor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:06 pm

And just like that, the thread was done before it even started :lol:.

Serious question: How similar are the 2 overdrive methods? Is the Phatty knob based off of this Voyager design or do they process the signal differently?
Moog Little Phatty, Korg Radias, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, NI Massive, Ableton Live 8, Saffire Pro 40

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:24 pm

grapeflavor wrote:...Serious question: How similar are the 2 overdrive methods?

From my personal experience, having heard all three, they're all behaving differently. The internal (or external) process is essentially the same: overdrive the filter and VCA with the output signal, by creating a feedback loop. But since all three machines are somewhat different in design and implementation of the circuitry, the results are also different. All interesting, mind you, but definitely different.

Especially when the circuitry is on the verge of self-oscillation (audio feedback) on both the Mini and Voyager, the behavior is very noticeably different between those synths.
The Little Phatty filter overload levels, don't allow self-oscillation if I remember right...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

grapeflavor

Post by grapeflavor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:11 pm

You're right, my LP's filter overload never gets to the point of self-oscillation. Thanks for sharing the info. :)

spin

Post by spin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:24 pm

thanks guys for the infos! Someone has tried to use an overdrive pedal before feed back the signal in the external input?

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 am

But at least in theory there are two different ways you can overload the filter/VCA. If you send one of the outputs back into the mixer you get a feedback loop where the resonance might self oscillate. But if you use an insert jack and put it in the Mix Out/Audio Filter In you can boost the signal from the oscillators prior to the filter. This creates an overload as well but no feedback. So if I'm not misunderstanding something, you actually have two different types of overdrive in the Voyager. Right?
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:57 am

spin wrote:thanks guys for the infos! Someone has tried to use an overdrive pedal before feed back the signal in the external input?
The whole Voyager 'Overdrive' subject was explored in depth some years ago on KnobTweak in an article entitled "Kicking It Up A Notch". You can find it here:

KT > Files > Voyager > Kick It Up.zip

The .zip file contains the article plus mp3 examples.

- Greg

spin

Post by spin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 pm

thank you very much man! really cool article 8)